Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Web design direction needed please.

Member #

Question Web design direction needed please.

Hey people,

I'm designing a business website and the owner wants me to integrate the testimonials from customers in such a fashion that they appear at random throughout the page in pop-up windows. I assume I would need to write a Javascript code for it and then integrate it in html. Yet, I know I'm not the first person who has this type of designing to do and I'm just wondering if anyone has the piece of code for it or knows where to find it? Either that or can give me a few pointers about writing it from scratch.

Thanks in advance ))

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So your title is asking for direction...

forget the pop-ups... They are so 80's and most people find them extremely annoying.

i can only speak for myself, but if I'm on a site and I get even one of those crappy pop-ups that require me to do anything before I can continue usin the site, I close the pop up and move on to the nex site.

testimonials are a great thing for many sites, but they are best placed in a location that can be seen and you draw attention to them with colors or graphics... As for the randomness ... There are literally thousands of JS scripts that can accomplish that for you... You create a page with the testimonials formatted specifically like the script says, add a little script in the head of the page, add a little script in the location of the display area... Then each time a page loads, it goes and pulls one randomly and displays it.

ive had clients ask for pop ups before and I was able to discourage them, and for those that insist, when they see the bounce rate in the log files for this pages, they usually understand and ask me to take it off.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, testimonials aren't always "great"...it depends on who writes them and how legitimate they are. I remember there was a registrar back in the day named Dodora that had "testimonials" in plain text from various individuals. One of the names looked suspicious to me, so I Googled it. Turned out it was a Nigerian dictator that had been killed three years prior to the "testimonial", which I thought was just awesome. Nothing like a testimonial from beyond the grave. So before you even worry about whether they should pop up in a new window (which as WZ quite rightly pointed out, they shouldn't), you'll need to find a way to make sure that they're both believable and legitimate.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    TheGame is absolutely dead on ( no pun intended ), make sure the "testimonials" that are being used are written in a believable and gramatically correct presentation.

poorly written or "over the top" type testimonials are / can be more damaging than no testimonials. The whole and only purpose of a testimonial is to instill "confidence" within the that the product or service that YOU are offering is what they need to get from "YOU"... If the testimonials aren't genuine, you could very well push potential clients away, or worse yet, to your competition.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    "The trouble with online testimonials, is that it is difficult to know if they are true" - Thomas Jefferson
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I thought George Washington Carver (you know, the guy who carved up George Washington) said that.
    kralcx and Ronald Roe like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    I think you can get solution of this problem on the w3 school. I hope it will be helpful for you.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare View Post
    "The trouble with online testimonials, is that it is difficult to know if they are true" - Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I thought George Washington Carver (you know, the guy who carved up George Washington) said that.
    Is this what they teach you up there about US History?
    Andrew Yurlov and AlphaMare like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Banned
    Member #
    W3 school or stack flow can surely give you the code.....

Remove Ads