Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Old computer isnt displaying same as new

Member #

Old computer isnt displaying same as new

I am not that great designer very simple html pages.

but I am using a newer computer to set up new pages, and new design and to me looks good on apple, and new computers, and smart phones. but when I go back to my old computer all the colums and pics are really big. is it the old computer? or my code?

old design that works on the old computer
    All-American Martial Arts Academy, Greenville NC, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Grappling

new design that don't work on old computer

Academy Schedule AAMAA

newer htnl4 code still don't work on old computer. (I didn't write by hand above I wrote by hand)
    http://www.groundgrappling.com/jamestest3.htm

any sugestions would be cool

Member #
    I just recently started using percentages for size with colums and picture size to help my site work on smart phones could this be the problem?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm guessing your old computer is running IE. It's not your computer that's the problem...it's the browser. But in this case, it's not what IE would have done wrong as much as the mode you threw it into by not declaring a DOCTYPE.

HTML doctype declaration

You might also want to look at validating your code. When all else fails, validate:

The W3C Markup Validation Service
    ArtArrington likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I'm kinda leaning toward the old computer effect of... Change your freakin resolution off of 800X600.

Seriously, if there's really a size difference... Make sure your resolution is at least comparable to what you have on the other.

Member #
    it is not in that resolution, the monitor is set in a auto mode I think it is 1200 or 1400 something.

I don't think that is it.

Member #
    the second page in html4 http://www.groundgrappling.com/jamestest3.htm has it declared and that didn't help.

thanks

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not the monitor ( sure it might display AUTO when the PC fist comes on), the "display settings" that the PC sends to the monitor ( found in the control panel). I think you are thing that the monitor is in AUTO... But that is meant for using whatever "display setting"... Is being sent to the monitor... And adjusting it to fit...

if one monitor displays items "larger" than the other... Then the "display settings" are different... Not an uncommon thing as many older video cards could not display higher resolutions .... But even most older pcs can be adjusted up to 1024 x 768...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    [Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.groundgrappling.com/jamestest3.htm - W3C Markup Validator

I'm guessing it's your widths specifically. Put them in quotes and see if that solves it. If not, post a screen capture of what exactly you're seeing.
    ArtArrington likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    thanks it has to do with my widths. talked to a friend and he said sense I am using percentages for the width varables the older browers don't know how to display them so I guess I will have to go back to number varables. thought it was a good way to make sure it was displayed correctly on smart phones.

thank you everyone.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, older browsers can handle liquid widths (percentages) just fine. Even IE6 can. I'm not sure who told you that, but it's not true.

Any time you have an attribute, you should put it in quotes. That's the problem. It's not the percentages. Instead of saying 80%, you need to say "80%".
    ArtArrington likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads