Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Webzarus
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Broken Links

Member #

Broken Links

Hi all,

I'm new here and it's my first post. I'm from Indiana, and am having trouble finding out why some links are broken.

They work fine with ftp://......... but are returning 404s otherwise (with http://.......)

the website is Handyman Electric. The broken links are under the section: We serve the cities & Towns of:.

The only way I have, at this time, to upload is through ftp and Windows 8. Looking at my files, I can't seem to figure out why they don't work. Everything seems to be in the same directory, but then I may be mistaken on that.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Member #
    For example, if I use: ftp://southernindianaelectric.com/~blairsville.htm I see the page, but if I use: http://www.southernindianaelectric.com/~blairsville.htm the page returns a 404

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    They seem fine without the tilde. ~ . Did you remove it from the filenames?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Do you actually have file names with the "tilde" in it ? You know, the squiggly line... I suspect not...

remove the tilde "~" from your links and you should be good... You need to understand "absolute" and relative links as well, but for this issue... Remove the tildes as the mtvernon.htm page opens when called without the tilde.

If you're doing all these extra pages in hopes of getting a little better ranking for each of those areas... Bad news... Just because you have a page named after the city... Not really gonna help. If anything... Search engines are going to see it as Spammy ... Especially if you have the same exact text on every page... Just changing the city name...

Member #
    Yeah, I guess the tilde was the problem. Removed them, and it works ok. Thanks.

Just a followup, when I'm wanting to link to an internal page, <a href="/internal page"></a> should work, correct?

Also, why would the tilde cause the problem? I'm thinking there was more to it. I did change some links.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus View Post
    If you're doing all these extra pages in hopes of getting a little better ranking for each of those areas... Bad news... Just because you have a page named after the city... Not really gonna help. If anything... Search engines are going to see it as Spammy ... Especially if you have the same exact text on every page... Just changing the city name...
    That was, indeed, the idea.

I guess this, then, turns into an SEO question/thread, but I've tried using Bing, and Yahoo Adwords, and Google, too, with not much help.

Can you give me some ideas? I don't have too many places for linkbacking, so I'm limited there.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaltal View Post
    Yeah, I guess the tilde was the problem. Removed them, and it works ok. Thanks.

Just a followup, when I'm wanting to link to an internal page, <a href="/internal page"></a> should work, correct?

Also, why would the tilde cause the problem? I'm thinking there was more to it. I did change some links.
    if the document you are linking to is in the same folder... You don't need the slash... Just the make of the file...

you really only need to start adding slashes to your URL path, if a document or image resides outside the current folder

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaltal View Post
    That was, indeed, the idea.

I guess this, then, turns into an SEO question/thread, but I've tried using Bing, and Yahoo Adwords, and Google, too, with not much help.

Can you give me some ideas? I don't have too many places for linkbacking, so I'm limited there.
    The things you mention have nothing to do with SEO except for seeing how you're doing.

without turning this into an SEO Thread... You don't need backlinks to get good placement but you do need quality, original conent.

you seem to be wanting to target your local and surrounding area... That being said, you should have the businesses "full address" listed in the header of each page... Look at your local competition ( the web sites that you find when looking for yours ).... Examine what they are doing, keywords they are targeting, conent they are providing ... Resources they are providing... Then look at it in terms of "doing better than them"...

Look at how your site can currently be found... That in itself speaks volumes. If it can't be found, that is a complety different issue than being found on page 100 of search results or only being found by searching for the website name... Each of those things has different meanings , different reasons, and different ways to address.

Perhaps start searching these forums for the SEO threads... What people are and aren't doing... And what the industry hacks are saying to get you to buy their services... There is no silver bullet answer to your question, anyone saying there is... Full of it.
    tacticaltal likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Damn...I usually notice SEO tricks. I was so focused on the status of the URL that the SEO trick escaped me.

First of all, "linkbacking" is highly overrated and misunderstood. Good content and a quality website generate their own quality backlinks, and they will be the kind that you cannot understand how to get until you see them in your site stats and know you had absolutely nothing to do with their creation...which means the only way you could have gotten the links is to have earned them. You'll either get those one day, in which case everything I just said will make complete sense to you...or you won't, in which case everything I just said will seem unbelievable. Believe me when I tell you, though...it's true.

Second, you're not targeting very large or very competitive geographic areas. The population of Newburgh, for example, is 3358. That means that you're not going to run into a lot of competition for those phrases, unless there are somehow 100 electricians targeting Newburgh (which I highly doubt). You don't need a whole page to target one area, and you certainly don't need to repeat it over and over and over and ooooooooooooooover again for every other area. A simple Google service area map with the cities/towns listed underneath (for non-Javascript users, search engine bots, and people who can't read maps and need the reinforcement of text to see if they're included...yes, there are a ton of directionally challenged people out there, and my brother-in-law and best friend are two of them). If you'd like a real-world example of what I'm talking about, here you go.

The thing with the areas you're targeting is that you're not going to get a lot of traffic from them regardless of what you do, but what shows up generally will convert because chances are you're the only game in town.
    tacticaltal likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads