Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

problem with iOS safari and Chrome

I'm working with a site witch contains a large image in a dev. The dev has a border-radius,
    In Firefox, Chrome en Safari it's workes perfectly. I haven't test it in IE.
    I have a problem with iOS safari and Chrome.
    In all desktop browsers the site fills the window and is centrered. In iOS thé site is very little and alligned to the left. Has anybody any idea how to solve this problem.
    You can find the site on test

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The only problem I see, is you copy/pasted code expecting everything to just work ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=view...&client=safari

Member #
    Thanks for the hint. But why such bitter reaction when someone does not know everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus View Post
    The only problem I see, is you copy/pasted code expecting everything to just work ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=view...&client=safari

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It has nothing to do with "not knowing everything". No one knows everything. WZ doesn't. I don't. No one does.

What he and I have a problem with is you clearly got that code from somewhere and just dumped it in. You used an HTML reset no one should ever use (thank you for this intolerable blight, Eric Meyer) and you used absolute positioning in a way that it was never intended to be used. You also have a horizontal scrollbar that you haven't even addressed yet. That's not how you learn anything, and that's why you're stuck.

If you want to solve this problem, you're going to have to blow it up and start again without that silly reset and use absolute positioning iff you want to break the flow of your document. There's no reason to do that here.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    This code was never intended to be used as a real website but minimized to make the problem clear. That's why I used the reset, to be certain that no unexpected things would happen. And yes I do want to break the flow of the document. I wasn't aware that I have to configure the viewport, so I'm glad with the hint. But I still think that there's no reason to make such a judgment so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It has nothing to do with "not knowing everything". No one knows everything. WZ doesn't. I don't. No one does.

What he and I have a problem with is you clearly got that code from somewhere and just dumped it in. You used an HTML reset no one should ever use (thank you for this intolerable blight, Eric Meyer) and you used absolute positioning in a way that it was never intended to be used. You also have a horizontal scrollbar that you haven't even addressed yet. That's not how you learn anything, and that's why you're stuck.

If you want to solve this problem, you're going to have to blow it up and start again without that silly reset and use absolute positioning iff you want to break the flow of your document. There's no reason to do that here.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's just it, though...there's nothing wrong with using a reset, if the reset is properly thought out and people know how to use it. That one isn't.

Simple test: if a reset contains a rule indicating margins and padding should both be set to 0 for the ol tag, you don't want to use it. Ordered lists should never have these properties set to 0, since there's no way for the numbers to show up if they do.

I'm still not sure why you want to break the document flow.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I admit, the reset is little bit rough but useful in this case. I use absolute position because I want to thread them as layers.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not harsh... Unless a factual statement is harsh to you.

very little of your code is actually your code, so you're not understanding the impact or issues.

you post a very specific question about a very specific issue that is only caused by your lack of understanding of the code you are using.

A 10 second search on google would have given you the viewport stuff... It's only been out there since IOS 3. And the problems with the reset you've copy/pasted.

Now... If you want harsh... I could say some factual things that your really aren't goin to like...

When I'm in "instructor mode"... I try to impress the importance of "knowing your code"... "If you don't know what something does, don't use it" period.

is that harsh ?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay...so you want to use layers. I get that. The thing is that nested divs create their own layers naturally and without needing absolute positioning in the first place. You need to look at things such as auto margins to get what you want.

The viewport thing probably won't solve the issue because it's when you have divs that are over 2000 pixels wide with absolute positioning set to 50%, it's going to create horizontal scrollbars and all sorts of other ugliness once you drop the content in.

Again, I don't know where you got that code from, but you need to scrap it and do this from scratch. You're going to mess yourself up with that junk.

Remove Ads