Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    People,

I created my original web site with a screen res of 800 X 600, so as to fill my old 17" monitor.

I created my new site right around the same time I purchased a new PC; & the new pages were designed at 1024 X 768 so as to fill my new 19" monitor.

My intent was to design a larger page that looked good on a larger monitor.

Now I need to have the larger pages scaled down to look good on smaller monitors (so that the users of smaller monitors do not have to scroll side to side, in order to view the page.)

My question is: How would resizing work in that context? Are there straightforward code commands available to reduce everything on the page by the appropriate ratio (including text), or would a total redesign necessary? Is it accomplished through html or css?

How about tutorials?

Thanks in advance,

mark4man

Member #
    When designing for all resolutions, I usually design a page to be no wider than 780 pixels. If you do that, it will be viewable on all resolutions, albeit with more wasted space on larger resolutions.

If you want to make a site at 100% width, you can see my post here on making a website banner that works on all resolutions.

Also, here's a good tutorial by JR on layout basics. It discusses liquid and static layouts, a great read IMO.

Member #
    splufdaddy,

Thanks.

Got a lot from your tutorial (& also JR's informational.)

Question: Is it always required that one starts small (800 X 600) & goes big (1024 X 768)?

Thanks,

mark4man

Member #
    You could also add a browser detection script which tells you information about the resolution the user is running. Then size your pages accordingly. Try looking in the php or javascript category on hotscripts.com .

Tim
    ----------------------------------------
    http://www.timothymerchant.co.uk

Member #
    tim2788,

What a great f _ _ k _ _g idea?

I found one at HotScripts (as created by Scott Brady.)

But this made me wonder: Wouldn't it be better to have a script that detected the screen resolution of the userís browser? I could very easily design a home page for 800 X 600 & one for 1024 X 768. Wouldn't that be better, in terms of controlling what the user views? (& also so much easier to implement)?

(or, forgive me if I am missing something from Scott's script . . . but would the same thing be accomplished with his detection of browser type?)

Thanks very much for your input. I am definitely on the right track now, thanks to you!

Sincerely,

mark4man

Member #
    Glad I was able to help :classic:. The browser type should return some kind of user agent which contains the resolution that is being used. Fiddle with the script and see if you can get to the res. If not I could probably write a php script to do the job. Drop me a line at meistersix@aol.com if you want me to try and write the script for you.

Cheers, Tim

Member #
    I would just design the site for 800 by 600 screens, unless your site stats show your visitors are primarily using 1028 by woteva it is lol, then use a detection script.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Yeah but making it accesable for all is surely a good option too. Designing for the most popular is the lazy way out

Tim

Member #
    Yeh, but to be a web designer - you have to be lazy
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    tim2788,

tim2788,

2 questions:

1) How much will it cost me?

2) What the hell is php (or mySQL, for that matter)?

mark4man

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads