Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Where to start?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Where to start?

I'm about to tackle making a website that may prove challenging to my limited skills.

It will have regularly written articles, a forum, a store, and maybe a few other bits and pieces. I want to make it really nice looking, maybe a few small effects (minor parallax scrolling or something). And I want it to be easy to update with new articles, items etc.

I've never used PHP or wordpress - just html and css. Not really sure where to begin with this somewhat intimidating project (for me).

Any advice where to start, and wether this should be wordpress?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not for a forum or a store. You're probably going to have to go beyond W*rdPr*ss and include the things along the lines of say phpBB or Simple Machines Forum (I've built forums on both and prefer the latter...much easier to customize).

The store? There really isn't anything out there that's any good. Magento is bulky and inefficient. osCommerce is a mess. And there just isn't much else.

If you've never used PHP, this will go way over your head because it's beyond just programming. There are things such as how the components of the site interact with one another, PCI compliance, security (W*rdPr*ss is a giant piece of Swiss cheese), etc. You may be able to tackle the articles or the forum...or if you get really lucky, both.

The store? Don't even think about trying that with no prior PHP knowledge. I suggest people study a server-side language for at least 18 months to 2 years, really master it, learn about what people will do outside of that which you expect them, learn how to code for those types of situations, and then take on building a store. It's simply too complex and there are too many variables involved, despite what all the off-the-shelf storefront script writers will tell you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    This idea sounds a lot like the one I have for a web page start up, I want to have user profiles and allow users to post their own articles under a topic that I have created. I also want some sort of voting system in place. I am thinking PHP is the language I am going to have to use, but I am not sure. I know some PHP, but I don't want to use it in that language, I feel like it is outdated and almost irrelevant anymore, but I could be wrong. Is there a better solution to this?

TLDR: I am looking for the same answers as OP, but I do not want to have a store or get anyones personal information.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Home : The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site <-- you're welcome.

Seriously, the best solution is the one that works. PHP isn't irrelevant by any stretch of the imagination...as long as "tools" such as W*rdPr*ss and Drupal and Joomla use it, it'll stay relevant and a large portion of the web geek community will keep it there. ASP.net and PHP are like day and night, though...there's just so much more you can do with .NET.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads