Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

oldschool website not working on certain computers, please help!

Hello everyone! I'm new here and have a very basic question.

So around 2005 I took a class for web design and built of few websites, including my own which is the site in question here. I decided to take down the old website from several years back and completely build a new one. I haven't done web design for about six years but most things came back to me except for this one problem, and it's a biggie, although I think a simple tweak will fix it. It's a very simple and primitive site using old-school xhtml and css so I think it's something simple, although I can't remember how I fixed the problem before.

So, I have my page set up with with four blocks, header, navigation, contact info (below navigation), and the one that's giving me problems, the body content block. All are set with absolute positioning, and all are working for me except the body content. It's set to left: 278px;, while this works fine on the original computer that I created the site on, with all the alternative browsers, when I look at the site on different computers the body content block is stuck on the left side, overlapping my navigation.

Mind you, on some computers it may be fine, but I'm sure some of you will see exactly what I'm talking about.
    Meryl's Termite & Pest Control

What would be the tweak to correct this? The #bodycontent block is set to Position: "absolute"; and left: 278px;. Thanks very much for any help!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hey Joe,

The problem is your use of absolute positioning. It's one of the most common problems.

Get rid of it, and if you need to center something, use margin: 0px auto; width (whatever the width of that rectangle is). Absolute positioning will produce varying outputs on varying screens, and is a good thing to use if there are situations that call for it and you have a good grasp on CSS. Just to put the body copy in a spot isn't one of those uses, although you're far from the only person to make that mistake. A lot of WYSIWYG editors generate the same sort of thing.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Okay, thanks alot! It makes sense and should put me in the right direction, I think I can manage to tweak the blocks without using absolute positioning. Thanks again!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No worries, dude.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    One more question, for #bodycontent, which is the block I'm having trouble with, I just set the margin: 0px auto; the width is set to 660px; which gives enough room for content (paragraphs and tables). I need to move the #bodycontent over to the right so it's not over the navigation, and also up, so it's under the header and not below the other blocks. What's the best way to do this, by padding-left: or left:?? I'm trying a few different commands but nothing is working.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    padding-left should do it.

Remove Ads