Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Clickable Scrolling Picture News Help?

Hello. I am trying to get some help in building a clickable scrolling news banner on my site. I have some experience at html, but would not consider myself an expert. I have been trying to find a generator or steal from someone else's site, but have been unsuccessful for sometime now.

I'm just wanting this to look like Yahoo's front page, or an example right on this page WEBN - Rock - Cincinnati, OH

I stole the code off the WEBN website, but when I posted on my website it just showed their pictures right after one another and not in a sculling banner. Idk if it was a flash problem. I can post the code I stole and was trying to customize if needed. Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find something like this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Here's an example: Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.12.49 PM.jpg

Does anyone have any insight on how to build one of these yourself or have a resource to make them?

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    What types of code did you steal exactly? You're gonna need the HTML/CSS and probably some sort of JavaScript/jQuery.

By the way, these are typically called "sliders" or "carousels" and not "clickable scrolling pictures."

There are a ton of solutions out there for this. Just Google something like "free jQuery slider" and you'll find a ton of them.

Member #
    Alright, great. That worked out well, I didn't know what it was called! My page is looking better.

The last thing that I want to do is add a calendar of local events that are in a list form. My website is a local music store, so we are building to give value to the community members. The same thing could be found on Reverbnation. Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 4.13.24 PM.jpg

Could be without the map, would probably prefer it without it. I just need a list I could put date, band name and location. It would be great if it was it's own widget and the old shows would delete themselves. What would this be called?

BTW, check out what I have so far if you want:

Ripley Rocks

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Well, the list of dates, band names, locations could be straight up HTML/CSS.

To get a Google Map with markers on all the locations would be a little trickier. https://developers.google.com/maps/d.../marker-simple

Old shows "deleting themselves" would also require some sort of custom programming. How would it know how old an event would have to be before that happened?

I'm sure there are a lot of "event calendar" solutions out there too. Must be something out there that would fit your needs.

Member #
    I found something that looks really professional and would be perfect for my website. I found it on Timely Free Website Calendar

You can see an example of their calendar on Free Concerts in NYC | Free Parties in NYC -ilovefreeconcerts.com

I am covering a different topic, and maybe I should start a new thread, but I downloaded the files, normally I would install in my public folder on server. Reading the instructions it seems this is a wordpress plugin. Is there any way I can still use this on my site? It looks like PHP code.

Remove Ads