Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Liquid - Fixed - Liquid layout without overlap

I'm having trouble getting a layout to work right.

6WDgMAc.jpg

1 - This is how it should look on larger monitors. A fixed width centered div with the page content on it, a left div with navigation in it, and a right div that would more than likely be empty.

2 - This shows what happens when the screen is too small, and this is my problem. The center div stays centered and overlaps with what is inside of the left div.

3 - This is how I'd like it to be. When there's not enough space for the center div to stay centered without overlapping, I'd like for it to start eating up the empty space in the right div and be forced off-center. Eventually it would resemble a two column layout.

I've tried doing this with normal positioning stuff, and I've tried doing it with flexbox, but I don't think I know enough about either to know what to do.

I could manually make different css for different window sizes to literally make it a 2 column layout in small windows but I feel like this is something simple that shouldn't require that.

So I'm not sure what to do. If someone could even just point me in the right direction it would help a lot. Thank you
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Sounds like you're looking for what's known as responsive design. The oversimplified explanation is that CSS is used to control the appearance of layout elements depending on different screen resolutions.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks. I thought that was something I could do without getting into @media stuff, but I guess that's what I'll have to do.
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If that's what you were looking to avoid...unfortunately, you're right. You can't. But it's not so bad. It's basically just repetitive CSS. If you've ever designed a print stylesheet before, it's basically the same idea. It's just horribly explained, as is the case with a lot of good technical ideas.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads