Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Alright. I am using Dreamweaver MX to create a very large site (300-450 individual pages). I have decided to use Templates as it would obviously be the simplest way (if its not, its too late b/c theyre all made now). my question is this.
    On the template, I have made a region that appears on every page an editable region b/c I wasn't sure if it would appear different on each page. Well, now I am to the point to where I know that each page has the same exact things in the previously mentioned region. My problem is this, whenever I make changes in that region that I want to disperse to every page, they are only made in the template, and ignored on all others b/c it is an editable region. The only solution that I have come up with is to make it an uneditable region so that it cannot be changed. I am aware of the Modify>Remove Template Markup, however that only envokes the change on the template and does not disperse to the other pages, still leaving me with the same problem.
    So, if there is a way to make changes made in an editable region in a template to be dispersed, or if there is a way to take away an editable region and uneditable region, and have it carry through to all pages, or if there is something that you think i may be over looking or...(j/k) well, you get the picture.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Member #
    I dont have alot of experience with Dreamweaver's template feature, but you could do what you're trying to do with SSI (Server Side Includes). It can be done in PHP, ASP, and SHTML, to name a few.

Here's a tutorial on php include, and Here's a tutorial on the Basics of SSI, written by a member of WDF. May not be the answer you're looking for it your templates are already done, but it's something to look into for the future atleast.

Member #
    well..its too late to use something SSI as the templates are already made, thanks for your help tho. if there are any other ideas i need them asap.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Originally posted by shatheid
    well..its too late to use something SSI as the templates are already made, thanks for your help tho. if there are any other ideas i need them asap.
    Please check your private messages.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I love the template feature in Dreamweaver MX. It really saves a lot of time once you get the hang of it. As far as I know, there is no way to disperse changes to other pages made to an editable region in a template. It's hard to visualize what you are trying to do, but if the changes should be on all the pages, why not make the region uneditable?
    Chance S.
    OTTN, LLC
    Online Think Tank Network
    Affordable, Quality Web Hosting

Remove Ads