Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Do I need a website to begin building my phpbb forum?

Hi guys, My question is: Do I need to have a website to start building a phpbb forum? I know I will eventually need it. But is it possible to build the forum before I purchase my webhosting and domain name? I was thinking of using wordpress.
    What I mean is can I design it before sending it to my web?

Any help will help guys thanx alot?

also will it be easier to purchase an already built forum off ebay for $20 and redesign it? I've built a couple websites before but not a forum, and Im not familiar with programming at all.

What I mean is is this a programm that I can design before I link it to a website?

Member #
    Okay so phpbb would probably be the website. Unless you need to display information that wouldn't work in a message board, you probably don't need a website in addition to the forum. Basically if your forum is the focus of the whole site (like it is here) then you don't need a website in addition to a forum.

You could set up a phpbb install locally using XAMPP, but setting that up and then migrating it from there might prove too difficult for you if truly are a "newbieforreal" If you're familiar with moving databases, this is probably your best bet though.

You could also setup your hosting and domain first and install phpBB on it and play with it there until you're ready to go live and advertise your site.

OR! You could find a free phpBB host that will handle setting it all up for you. Then all you have to do is create the categories, boards, etc. within the forum itself. Just google "free phpBB hosts"

Remove Ads