Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Help with a "posting" website

Hi, so I tried this idea a few years ago and got busy/couldn't figure out how to make it happen.

So my idea is to make a website so that my friends and I can just have fun posting sports predictions and then later on go back and see how they turned out. Seems pretty simple, and I've had the design done for a while, I just did not know how to go ahead with the posting part. I heard about using Wordpress or other things, but I never could figure it out. I have a decent background in HTML and CSS, but other than that I only used a little PHP for contact forms that I took from guides. I will post a picture of the design and it will probably speak for itself and tell you what I mean. I'm new here, trying to get back into web design, thanks for any help.

I actually have the site live, i forgot lol: The P - Board
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    So WordPress can do what you want, but it's gonna take a lot of work either way - finding all the right plugins and conforming Word Press to your desired layout.

PHP and MySQL is the alternative IF you have a true web host that supports the two, but you will have to learn some of each. PHP will do three things for you, it will take the data some submits and save it to a MySQL database, then it will load that data from the MySQL database, and finally it will insert that data into your page for you.

Your primary goal would be to learn the basics of ECHO in PHP, IF/THEN statements, and how to query MySQL using PHP.

I recommend w3schools.com as a good resource for learning PHP and MySQL.

Member #
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I used w3schools a lot and i like it. Okay, so I need to learn a little bit of PHP and MySQL.. just go through the tutorials and that should tell me how to translate their practice exercises to my intended application of the languages?
    I believe I did some PHP tutorials on there before but I didnt see how to apply that for what I wanted. Ill check it out and try again tho. thanks

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    you want something like this

//Adding to database
    <?php $query="INSERT INTO table_name (name, comment, timestamp)VALUES('$name', '$comment', '$timestamp')";
    $result=mysql_query($query);?>

//Reading database
    <?php $query="SELECT * FROM table_name";
    $result=mysql_query($query); ?>

//Echoing the results
    <?php while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result){
    echo "{$row['name']} posted this comment: {$row['comment']}";
    }?>

That's like a really dumbed down version not checked for syntax either , though it should be close. Those are the basic types of commands you'll want to look for and learn. Then you'll have to learn a little more for security or adapting your more exact needs. But that should point you in the right direction hopefully!

[EDIT: Please read the forum rules about fake signatures. Second warning. TheGAME1264]
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Feb 17th, 2014 at 02:58 PM.

Member #
    OK cool thanks. Should I just skip over stuff like strlen() function stuff then and look through the tutorials I think I need to know?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    @mjrzasa, all the little stuff will probably help along the way, but you could probably start with what you know you will need and then go back and learn more.

@thegame1264... I searched the forum rules and found nothing about a "Fake Signature", but I did see I can't have a signature.

Remove Ads