Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By usedearplugs
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Wanting to become a web-deisgner

Member #

Post Wanting to become a web-deisgner

Hey all together, im a new user here (as my post count would suggest) ;-)

So ive decided that one thing i would like to be in future is a web designer, and i hereby have decided to sign up to this forum to learn as well as to ask where i should begin.

What knowledge have I at the moment? Ive learned basics of html (which i have to revise) and ive spent countless hours in photoshop. Enough, at least, to know all the tools and how things work.

I used to love to create orbs or generally just make website layouts. As time has passed, ive noticed this is what i would really like to learn.

So the reason im here is because i am asking for some guidance and i hope i am in the right place, any advice or input would be great

First of all, where should i start? - Please, treat me as a beginner, because i want a clean, fresh start from the ground up even if it means learning things ive already learned.

Which books would you recommend? How long do you think does it take for an ambitious person willing to devote time to learning DAILY to consider himself a web designer?

Any tips/suggestions you would like to give me on the way are greatly appreciated

The way ive learned what i know now is by doing.

It has always been a fun experience,to hit the refresh page and watch things turn into what i wanted them to, bit, by bit.

I hope that one day i can proudly host a website, that is solely based on my work, with a nice biography and personal things ive worked on, be it icons, emoticons, user interface, icons for andorid launchers, web design etc.

So where should i start?

thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I would recommend w3schools.com for training resources. If you've got HTML under your belt, the next thing to learn would be CSS. Then I'd recommend some Javascript followed by PHP with MySQL.

HTML: The Content
    CSS: The Design
    JavaScript: Functionality
    PHP: Dealing with Forms, Users, and Way Way more.
    MySQL: Database

But on the other hand... It sounds like you may have found your niche with Photoshop. If you can really hone that ability, you could be a part of a team and not have to learn to do everything on your own. Jack of all trades vs King of One.
    shadeh likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I'm going to try to answer your questions bit-by-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by shadeh View Post
    What knowledge have I at the moment? Ive learned basics of html (which i have to revise) and ive spent countless hours in photoshop. Enough, at least, to know all the tools and how things work.
    Good that you know photoshop. Now, set it aside. There are arguments to be made that you don't need it at all, but if that's how you want to work, fine. However, you need to put it aside for now. Focus on code, and focus on design fundamentals. Photoshop won't help you with either. And while you're at it, learn how to create using CSS so you can use as few images as possible. CSS is powerful. The layout of this site I did only uses 2 images. The rest of the images are from content.

First of all, where should i start? - Please, treat me as a beginner, because i want a clean, fresh start from the ground up even if it means learning things ive already learned.

Which books would you recommend?
    This depends on how you learn. If you can learn from books (I can't), I understand the Smashing books are pretty good. I prefer the explain and try sites like codecademy.com.

How long do you think does it take for an ambitious person willing to devote time to learning DAILY to consider himself a web designer?
    It all depends on you. How fast you pick it up, how hard you press at it, and whether you need that "Aha!" moment to get going. I'm an "Aha!" moment type. I beat my head against something for a while, and then I'll come across something that just suddenly makes it click. Then, it's usually smooth sailing. When I was trying to learn CSS, I was having a bit of a hard time getting started on it. Then, all of a sudden, I realized that "selectors" literally selected elements, and I just suddenly got it.

So where should i start?
    You said you need to update your HTML. Start there, and learn CSS as you do. The 2 go hand-in-hand, so why not learn them that way? Move onto JS. Realize that JS intertwines with HTML and CSS, and the lines tend to blur. Once you have a solid handle on all that, which may take a good, long while, decide if you want to get into backend stuff. That's where I'm at now. I'm learning PHP. My "Aha!" moment? The syntax is close enough to JS that I can focus more on learning how backend scripting works instead of trudging through the basics all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by usedearplugs View Post
    I would recommend w3schools.com for training resources
    w3schools is inconsistent, and a good bit of their content is incorrect. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent enough resource. That's where I initially learned, but there are now better resources out there, like codecademy, codeschool, treehouse, etc.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Feb 24th, 2014 at 08:32 AM.
    AlphaMare and shadeh like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Hey guys, thank you for the replies. And Ronald, the reason i said books is because I thought that's the best way, but I guess everything is online nowadays. So I might as well just learn it online - even better , by testing :-)

When it comes to learning I actually can very well relate to you. I'm also an "aha" person. Keep repeating or testing until it clicks. I thank you guys for taking your time.

One thing I didn't expect is for Photoshop to not be as relevant .(Well it does make sense, actually)

Edit: oh one last thing, software, what is the tool everyone loves these days?
    Last edited by shadeh; Feb 25th, 2014 at 01:25 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Wanting to become a web-deisgner

Code academy is great.. I learned more from there than what i learned in 1 semester of web design/development class at a local college!

I always recommend Brackets as a code editor.. Another good one that is popular is Notepad++

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    ...software, what is the tool everyone loves these days?
    Vapr suggested Brackets. It's pretty good. I've used it, and I have to say with each release, I contemplate more and more leaving Sublime Text behind.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads