Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need Help With Building Form

New here!!

I am in the process of building a website for a new company I am starting and am having a lot of trouble building the form part of it. A HUGE part of my website is based on the customer filling out a form on the website. The form needs to be private, so when they hit submit, it would need to save to a file on their computer. I can't have it email me, the builder, nor can I have it save into a database on the website. I tried using the different third party websites that have forms that can be made, but every time there is a submission, it sends the submission to me as the administrator.

Again, I need it to just download on the customers computer only when they hit submit. The form would then clear and be ready for another submission. What would be the best way to go about this?

Thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I'm not sure I get it. Why not just have them download the blank form and fill it out?

I suppose you could have JS copy the form values into a hidden area of the page and display that area on click of the submit button. Not sure you could get a downloadable file from that, though.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    I'm not sure I get it. Why not just have them download the blank form and fill it out?

I suppose you could have JS copy the form values into a hidden area of the page and display that area on click of the submit button. Not sure you could get a downloadable file from that, though.
    Well the whole idea would be that they can go either on the website or app and just fill out the form in a quick manner and then save it as a file. That way they can save them every time the fill them out to view for their reference later.

Granted, you could make it so they download the form to fill out, but that would defeat the purpose of it being simple and quick.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You could possibly set it up using php so it sends a copy of the form to them in an email as well. That actually seems like it would be simpler as they could easily store it in a folder thru their email host, save it to their computer or print it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I don't see a good way of doing this that doesn't touch the server. There are some client-side pdf conversion scripts out there, but I'm thinking it'd be more cumbersome than it's worth. You'll need to process it on the server at the very least. If you don't want to store it, you could just have the script delete the file after it's been downloaded, or after a given time.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads