Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Improve Page Design

Member #

Improve Page Design

ok so on my forum/blog indyprogramming.co I can see myself that the colors look awful bland. My problem is that i'm a good programmer, but not so good at design and colors.

So i'm asking for anyhelp i'm using a greenish-grey for bg and a black color derived from that same grey for text so I though maybe the colors would just go naturally together but to me it seems bland and apparently according to stats to others as well.

Any design help is thanks in advance!!!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I get a 500 error for the page
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Do what a fellow developer does...cheat.

Color Trends + Palettes :: COLOURlovers

Search palettes for various greenish-grey colors until you find what you want.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    You could also use images (find the color you like and make a 1x1 pixel image) as they don't tend to lose color on various browsers and just use the background-repeat option to fill your page/block.

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryke_the_Orc View Post
    You could also use images (find the color you like and make a 1x1 pixel image...
    Please don't do that.

Colour Lovers is pretty good. I've also used Adobe Kuler. For yours, I'd stick primarily to simple, light colors with a different green as a highlight. Try doing the background with #c0c0c0, the content areas with either #fff or #e0e0e0. For the green, try #00853F, but use it sparingly (links, highlights, borders, edges of things, etc.,). For the post header blocks, try #84d6aa. Also, lose the logo image, or at least fade it out. That's a big part of your problem.

P.S. What happened to the poop smiley? You can get to it if you click "More" on the smiley menu, but when you post, it goes away.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Mar 10th, 2014 at 07:01 PM.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    Please don't do that.

Colour Lovers is pretty good. I've also used Adobe Kuler. For yours, I'd stick primarily to simple, light colors with a different green as a highlight. Try doing the background with #c0c0c0, the content areas with either #fff or #e0e0e0. For the green, try #00853F, but use it sparingly (links, highlights, borders, edges of things, etc.,). For the post header blocks, try #84d6aa. Also, lose the logo image, or at least fade it out. That's a big part of your problem.

P.S. What happened to the poop smiley? You can get to it if you click "More" on the smiley menu, but when you post, it goes away.
    Just out of curiosity, why not this approach? As I stated in another thread, I'm just learning all of this, so insight from pro's is greatly appreciated

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    A good rule of thumb is: don't use any images you don't need to. The big, on-the-surface, easy-to-articulate reason is images create overhead and make pages take longer to download. Also, maintainability is an issue. How much easier is it to change a hex value in a CSS file rather than create and export a new image from an image editor?
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Mar 11th, 2014 at 12:01 PM.
    Stryke_the_Orc likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    If you want to edit your BLOG and see diff color combos then try using the element inspector that is part of the developer tools in chrome. Edit the style sheet colours and see what the different colour combos look like on your actual site. Some colours may seem good in theory but have a look at the actual site in those colours for the final feeling.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,
    You can try Adobe Kuler and pick any color combination from there for your website. I mostly do that.

Goodluck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads