Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Blog/article creation script

Hello all, I have a bit of a tricky thing I'm trying to do, and I think it will need to be figured out in several steps, so bear with me while I try to explain it accurately.

I am running apache2 on debian by the way

I have a page I am creating for my business, digitalageaudio.com.

I want to have a section on the site that I use for announcements, articles about recording and current projects, blog type posts, etc. Here are the steps I think I will need to make it easy to create new content.

1. Save a script as a file that I can just execute in order to create a new file with some default formatting, or to copy a standard template file, and save the new file with the current date and time as the file name. These will all be saved in a specific subfolder of the web server.

2. Have some sort of server side include that looks through that folder and displays the most recent 5 or 10 posts on a page, and you can click to the next page to see the next 10 or whatever. I'm hoping there is a way to use the file name as a variable, and load the pages that way.

Does that make sense?

My thought is that this will make it easy to add content to the site that is correctly formatted, and keep it all organized by date.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I think you might benefit from what's known as a static site generator. The most common one is called Jekyll. Basically, you create a template, put blog posts in a particular folder and run the Jekyll script, which "compiles" a static HTML site. You then just upload the folder it creates. You can even format your blog posts using Markdown if you like. It runs on Ruby, and you won't need Apache even for testing, because it has a simple HTTP server built in. It can do a lot more, but it will certainly do what you're wanting in the very least.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    That looks just about perfect. I'll have to mess around with the configuration of it and see if it actually does what I am envisioning, but I think it will. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Why don't you install wordpress as a script in one of your directory like www.example.com/blog
    That'll be very convenient for you
    Good luck

Remove Ads