Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: IE8 Shrink to fit Issue

Member #

IE8 Shrink to fit Issue

Hello!

My name is Jessie and I am having an issue with how to work around an Internet Explorer 8 issue on my site.
    My site was built by a third party that has been unresponsive to my requests for help. I took over the site to manage it but am new to Website Development.

Please see the following link: http://www.concordproducts.com/image...igh/s-0105.jpg.

In Firefox, Safari, and Chrome the very large image is automatically scaled to fit the screen and remains clear. However, in Internet Explorer 8, any high or medium resolution photos that are resized have jagged lines that appear and make my photos look like they are very poor quality.

I have been searching and searching for fixes and I cannot find anything.
    Any ideas would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jessie

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    That would be a rendering problem in IE8, and there's nothing you can do about it, except use different images.

Check your analytics, though. Most likely, the number of visitors you're getting who use IE8 is negligible. That being the case, I wouldn't even worry about it.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is a case where no browser is really wrong, though. I'd blame either the third party or whoever is in charge of resizing those images. The big problem is that your image is insanely large in terms of dimension (no one's going to be able to view a 5000 x 3750 pixel image in its original size). It's also compressed with some quality loss, which can create an additional grey area from the browser point of view. So why is that relevant? When you want the image resized, the program that you use to resize it (in this case, a few different browsers) has to make a "best guess" as to what it is that it's supposed to look like in the end. You happened to get the results you wanted from Chrome / FF and not from IE8, but that's not really an IE8 issue as such. That's also why you can't find a fix for your problem...it's not a browser-related fix.

Ron's also got a point about IE8. XP has officially gone the way of the dinosaur, so that pretty well leaves Windows 2003 servers (which go the way of the dodo next year) and a few Windows Vista and 7 machines. The latter two usually "auto-update" by default and would as such install newer versions of IE on most people's machines. So chances are it probably isn't relevant.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    By the way, Ron, I fixed your signature.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #

Thank you! Solved the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    By the way, Ron, I fixed your signature.
    Thank you so much TheGAME1264.

Your explanation was really thorough and informative. The reason we use these photos on our website is to allow people the option to download high res for printing purposes. Knowing that there really is no way to work around this prompted me to search for a better way to do things.

The original creators of the website made our medium and high resolution photos as images to be viewed in the browser, but as you explained, these photos are way to big for that to function correctly. Since I've posted this, I've done research about how to make these links downloads, so instead of viewing them on my site the user will have to view them on their computer if they so choose. Then, the browser won't be scaling them at all, and I will only have correctly sized images displaying online.

AND, as you both brought out, the amount of users seeing the issue isn't a big concern which is a big relief to me.

Thank you again for your time.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Lol. That's pretty funny. I was about to drop the front end bit soon, so I guess it works.

Remove Ads