Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Header box at the top goes into the right border column on Some computers. haylp

So, here's the back story.
    Helping somebody who used MS web expression 4 to try and create a site using a template.
    Well they kinda mauled the template but I installed MS web on my puter and figured out how to get everything lined up and looking good BUT..here's the ODD catch.
    On my 3 computers and 3 different browsers, the header area looks perfect. 2 side grey columns and a black header box centered with all the page info in the middle.
    a couple OTHER people have told me that on their computers(showed me a screenshot) the black header box goes all the way to the RIGHT on their screen. Covering the grey column on the right. But doesn't do that on the left.

I'm baffled. maybe it a 'width in pixels' issue, i don't know but i bet somebody who's seen this can type the answer in 7 seconds.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Going to need to see it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    Going to need to see it.
    yeah, i should have included that...you'll see all the info you need
    Hail Leads,Hail Damage Appointments,Hail Damage Leads,Storm Damage Leads roofing Leads

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Ok. I can't see where it's going all the way to the right, but I can see that it's a bit disjointed.

The width on .auto-style71 and the left:2px on the header below it are causing that.

Now, onto the actual problem. You're using the HTML5 doctype, but you're writing HTML like it's 1995. The layout is all in tables, you're using font tags, which were removed in HTML 4, and you're using inline styles. Then, there's this:
    Code:
    </span></font></span></font></font></font></font></font></span></font></b></font></font></font></font></font></font></span></span></font></font></font></font></span></span></font></font></td>
    Yikes. It looks like you're either using a very old WYSIWYG editor, or you sliced the layout from a PSD and let Photoshop do the code for you.
    Why is that bad? Because it causes problems like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ron: Expression Web is Microsoft's replacement of FrontPage. I know I won't need to explain any further than that.

spacechimp: there's all kinds of wrong going on here, and I don't even know where to begin, quite frankly. But the gist of what Ron's trying to tell you is that your friend in all likelihood didn't maul the template...Expression Web probably did the dirty work for your friend. Basically, it created a giant, excessively WYSIWYG-code-complex mess when you could have gotten what you wanted with about half of the code.

That's also why you end up with situations like this:

http://therooferschoice.net/telemarketingworks.html

The reason the middle black section extends over as far as it does is you have multiple elements (a div and a subsection) with inline styles set wider than their containing table cell (962px). The table cell is part of the problem in and of itself; layouts don't need table cells. This is a three-column layout, but not in the way you've organized it.

Under most circumstances, I'd say you'd be better off just recoding this from scratch and putting the content in. However, I'm not convinced that this is going to solve anything. The layout isn't the biggest problem with this site (which is saying quite a bit)...the concept is. Whoever you're helping is promoting an insanely outdated idea. Telemarketing worked back in the 1980's - 1990's when there really weren't a lot of alternatives to getting the word out about a product or service, but teh Intarwebz pretty well rendered cold-call telemarketing extinct by around 2003-2004. I worked on a few sites for such a company for several years and they went from having 5-6 people doing cold-call alone at any given time to having no sales people at all and increasing their revenues by 50% just by letting the sites I worked on doing the heavy lifting.

In other words, you fixing up the tech aspects of the site won't fix up a bad concept.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I hadn't realized he was using Expression Web. MS should really quit the internets.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Their commercial-grade stuff (e.g. ASP.net) is good stuff. Their consumer-grade stuff leaves a lot to be desired.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads