Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DC Web Design
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Need help with absolute and relative positioning

Member #

Need help with absolute and relative positioning

Thanks in advance. I have watched and read countless articles and am still having trouble getting this to work out right.

To make a long story short, I have a general template that will work for most of my pages that I created from scratch. However, some of the pages are longer, i.e. more content, and those pages will need more vertical length.

I'm not using a fluid grid layout and the divs are basically slices from photoshop, some of which have been made editable in my template, but the overall layout is absolute positioned.

I want to break that absolute position and allow that content box to expand as needed (downward) AND keep the bottom navigational graphics/links in relative position to it. Does that make sense?

In other words, the top portion of the web pages will all look the same, design wise, and longer pages will have that expanded content filling in and THEN bottom graphics.
    Last edited by middy; Jul 27th, 2014 at 01:37 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Not 100% sure I follow this, but it sounds like absolute positioning isn't really the right choice here.

You'll probably be better off with a float-based solution. Clearing them before your footer at the bottom.
    middy likes this.

Member #
    Well let me put it this way: I have a div that is set to auto height, based on the content filling it, I need it to stop overlapping or falling behind all the divs positioned below it. I need the divs below it to fall in line the way they should, in relation the bottom boarder of the content div. What exactly do I need to do?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Without seeing it, I can't answer for absolute certain. However, I can tell you this: the way to fix this is most likely to be: code it from scratch.
    middy likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Try clear:both; on the footer and whats being overlapped.

It would be better to see the site and what its doing. And i don't mean images of it.
    middy likes this.

Member #
    Thanks, I've started over now, from scratch, or at least my version of "from scratch". I'm running into a new issue I'll post a new, relevant thread.

Remove Ads