Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Styling forms that are compatible

I'm just curious what the best approach is to have HTML forms that are compatible with older browsers as well as non-javascript browsers. I've looked for tutorials but most tutorials just say it's near impossible. Yet I see websites with styled forms ALL the time.

Would I make a standard html form, then use javascript to modify the code to something more advanced?

I'm talking about completely modified forms (using different images for dropdown menus, for example)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Buttons, textareas and all of the input types can be styled directly, and while there is some funkiness, it isn't hard to make them behave. The other elements, like radio buttons, checkboxes, selects, etc., are a little more difficult. Radios and checkboxes can be customized using labels. In short, you hide the actual checkbox/radio button and style the matching label tag. Selects and some of the other elements are a little more involved, and require some JS. Here's an article on creating your own custom select: Reinventing a Drop Down with CSS and jQuery : Janko At Warp Speed
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    Buttons, textareas and all of the input types can be styled directly, and while there is some funkiness, it isn't hard to make them behave. The other elements, like radio buttons, checkboxes, selects, etc., are a little more difficult. Radios and checkboxes can be customized using labels. In short, you hide the actual checkbox/radio button and style the matching label tag. Selects and some of the other elements are a little more involved, and require some JS. Here's an article on creating your own custom select: Reinventing a Drop Down with CSS and jQuery : Janko At Warp Speed
    Ok, so I'm on the right track, then. That is basically what I was referring to when I mentioned using javascript to modify the code. I said "dropdown menu" but what I meant to say was select list, lol. It was late and I was tired It's too bad there isn't a simpler way

Remove Ads