Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a medium site (150-200 pages), I have a library items that is a drop-down navigation menu for the whole site. My problem is that everytime I make a change to the darn thing I have to wait 3 or 4 hours for the updates to get done to all the pages and if that wasn't bad enough this process uses up all of my pc's resources so that I can't do anything else while I wait. Any suggestions or help offered would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Member #
    Server Side Includes
    You may want to look into SSI (server side includes). Depending on what capabilities your web host has, you can use SSI in PHP, ASP, or even SHTML (which almost every host supports).

Here's a tutorial on using SSI in PHP. Basically it looks like this:

index.php says it is made up of three files:
    ------------
    header.php
    -------------
    content.php
    ---------------
    footer.php
    ---------------

You can use header.php and footer.php all over your site. If you want to change the navigation at the top of your site, just change header.php, and the header will be updated on every page of your site instantly.

Member #
    would I have to change the extension on every page of the site from .html to .php?

Member #
    Yes, and you'd have to change the structure of each page, taking out your nav and inserting the php include function. It's no small task to convert, but SSI will cure the problem you're having.

Remove Ads