Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I was just browsing the "how's my site" part of the forum and came accross some negative comments about designing with XHTML & CSS, here is the thread:http://www.webdesignforums.net/thread8137.html

I was especially intersted in the issue raised about backward compatibility as (how green am I??) it was something I hadn't really thought about. I really want to design my site with XHTML and CSS because I find it a really comfortable way to design, especially the CSS part which I think has loads of potential for good design.

However, what I have noticed in learning how to do the layout is that all the browsers tend to display layout aspects of CSS a little differently. E.g. min-width and max-width (in CSS) only seem to be supported by Opera, which is a pain quite frankly!!

I still think I will go with XHTML (transitional) and CSS but as accessibility is quite high on my list of "must-dos" I really want my site to have the ability to look the same in most browsers. Not so worried about the XHTML (it will be transitional anyway which I gather is backward compatible?) more the CSS which, as I said, I notice is different in each current browser never mind older ones.

Just wondered what the general feeling is in here. :-)

lonepine

Member #
    Pretty interesting (but one-sided) article on the case for using XHTML et al here:

To Hell With Old Browsers

It is from Feb 2001 though, it would be interesting to see something a little more up to date. Very interesting article tho. :classic:

lpine

Remove Ads