Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: tables/images getting all out of whack in IE (works great in all other browsers)

Member #

tables/images getting all out of whack in IE (works great in all other browsers)

EDIT: Fixed it. Turned out to be the html (percentages) resized images. Scaled them on an image level and it's better. However in IE8 it's still displaying the page left justified when it should be centered (as in the editor). All other browsers seem to render it center justified (just not IE).

I've been pulling my hair out with the layout of tables and images in certain browsers. I designed this page in the WYSIWIG editor Kompozer (formerly Nvu). It loads in FF and Chrome perfectly. I tried it on Android's browser and it also looks as intended.

In IE, it loads as it should the first page load. Then if you click on the logo (in order to return home to index.html), the 3 images get spaced way off (wider than they should be).

What's happening to cause this?

I'm really having trouble with getting all browsers to be happy with table layouts. Any advice would be super appreciated!
    Last edited by 777funk; Apr 06th, 2015 at 07:58 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Which version of IE are you seeing it on? I'm using IE11 and it seems fine.
    777funk likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I tested on IE version 8 in a VM and on my wife's XP machine. The layout of the 3 images breaks down the minute I click on the logo to reload the index.html. What's interesting is that it loads great on the initial loadup.

Here's how it looks (correct) in Firefox:

Here it is (broken) in IE8:
    Last edited by 777funk; Apr 04th, 2015 at 09:06 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I have no issue in IE8.. being said....

Table lay out...REALLY? Please tell me this is for an email blast or something.

Member #
    Interesting. IE8 on two of my machines here does what I have shown above. I did an experiment and instead of scaling the images in the html (which I realize is not optimal), I scaled the actual photos and replaced the files. That fixes the issue. I uploaded that here.

But with that fixed I notice the website is left justified (instead of centered) in IE8. It's centered in all other browsers I've tried.

And no email blast Brian... just a webpage by an end user... not meant to be fancy. Perhaps it looks 1995 tech and a bit naively simple. I'm definitely not a pro. I personally don't mind the simplicity. It doesn't look high dollar, I realize.
    Last edited by 777funk; Apr 04th, 2015 at 12:07 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Angel View Post
    I have no issue in IE8.. being said....

Table lay out...REALLY? Please tell me this is for an email blast or something.
    It's a church thing, dude. I always allow a lot more coding latitude for hobbyists. This is clearly someone doing it because he wants to do it, and that's cool with me.

777funk, I wouldn't worry too much about IE8 for two reasons: 1) it's primarily used on Windows XP machines and 2) Windows XP support was retired by Microsoft last year. Your bigger issue, and the extent of this issue depends on how important your computers are to you, is the security risks your machines pose simply by having a 14-year-old operating system. I say this not to criticize, but to advise.

With that said, if you want to solve your problem, try text-aligning the table itself to center rather than left. It's a very old IE hack, but it may work in this case. You can left-align the cells afterward.
    777funk likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks 1264! Also thanks for the encouragement to a hack (myself)! I'll see if the text align trick does it.

I personally hate IE, so fixing this is not for me, but computer illiterate folks who don't know a non stock browser exists for phones or computers (my inlaws think MSN (the home screen) is their browser - of course that's just IE's home default). I read recently that around 35% of OS's are still XP. I use Xubuntu (Linux) day to day and Win7 when I have to. My wife uses XP for her day to day stuff. Maybe I should switch her over to something else.
    Last edited by 777funk; Apr 04th, 2015 at 01:43 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's not that high, but it's still a lot higher than it probably should be.
    Windows 8 vs. Windows XP market share | BGR

Remove Ads