Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

Why is the visited link so important!?!

There's been some discussion about CSS link hovers here, but nothing has helped me.

I am creating several different link hover styles in CSS. They work fine until you visit the link and then they default to the a: visited state and the hover effect is gone. I've tried manipulating the order: a: link a: visited a: hover a: active in every combo, but nothing works.

Whats the best way to create several different hover effects on one page and have the browser ignore the a: visited state? I only want two states always ... a: link and a: hover.

Thanks!!!

Member #
    just set "a:visited" properties to exactly the same as "a:link" properties, and then you should sorted, the rollover should work. I might be able to help you a little more if you had a link to the site in question, or the html/css coding perhaps?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    dont use a:link { } and a:visited { }.
    just use a { } and a:hover{ } that will solve the problem

Member #
    Thanks for the replies! The page isn't up yet but I included the code below.

Yeah, I tried leaving out the a:visited state but it seems to revert to some default visited state I never set up (purple with underline). This is in DWMX.

I also tried making the a:visited with the same properties as a: link, but that still over-rides the hover effect. Once I visit the link, the hover effect is gone. Originally I set it up with only a: link and a: hover. Buntine ... should I use just a {} without the colon and link?

All I want is a link that is not underlined, but it changes color slightly and underlines when hovered. I don't care about the visited look or the active look.

I've had this code in every possible order and it seems to work the same no matter what. This seems like such a simple thing, but it's driving me crazy!!

a:link {
    font-size: 10px;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #333333;
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    a:visited {
    }
    a:hover {
    color: #000000;
    text-decoration: underline;
    }
    a:active {
    }

Member #
    Thanks!!

Yikes ... just went and tried the a {} and it worked!!

Why don't they spell this out in the manual or in the millions of tutorials???

Thanks again for your replies.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    You can reduce your CSS code to this:

a:link, a:active, a:visited {
    }
    a:hover {