Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By timbo89

Thread: Alternative to Tables as Layouts?

Member #

Alternative to Tables as Layouts?

Let me preface this by saying that I am taking a web design course in college and have stubbornly(/stupidly) refused to learn much beyond the absolute basics before now, so I apologize for any frustrating noobishness on my part.

Just from poking around Iíve noticed a general dislike for tables. We covered them today in class and they seem relatively handy, if a bit tedious to code. Whatís a better alternative to using tables as a layout?

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fenharel View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I am taking a web design course in college and have stubbornly(/stupidly) refused to learn much beyond the absolute basics before now, so I apologize for any frustrating noobishness on my part.

Just from poking around I’ve noticed a general dislike for tables. We covered them today in class and they seem relatively handy, if a bit tedious to code. What’s a better alternative to using tables as a layout?
    I may get beat up for this, but that's ok too, but there is nothing wrong with tables as long as you don't nest tables within tables.
    The code heads think only css but in some instances we have to use tables especially in some of the corporate sites we manage.

You would be surprised at the web designers that use tables and will never admit it. I have a friend that is a high dollar web designer and she uses tables 75% of the time and her sites work in all the browsers with ease and they validate.

You still need to learn html and css if you're going to be a designer.

Flame away code heads lol.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Sep 09th, 2015 at 10:46 PM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Use divs instead, and css to style and position.

I use tables as little as possible, but that's just me... if you can make something that looks good and works well with tables, why not?

i also found this :P
    1. Tables are usually more bytes of markup. (Longer to download, and more bytes of traffic for the host.)
    2. Tables usually prevent incremental rendering. (Takes longer for the user to see anything on the page.)
    3. Tables may require you to chop single, logical images into multiple ones. (This makes redesigns total hell, and also increases page load time [more http requests and more total bytes].)
    4. Tables break text copying on some browsers. (That's annoying to the user.)
    5. Tables prevent certain layouts from working within them (like height:100% for child elements of <td>). (They limit what you can actually do in terms of layout.)
    6. Once you know CSS, table-based layouts usually take more time to implement. (A little effort up-front learning CSS pays off heavily in the end.)
    7. Tables are semantically incorrect markup for layout. (They describe the presentation, not the content.)
    8. Tables make life hell for those using screen readers. (Not only do you get the other benefits of CSS, you're also helping out the blind/partially-sighted. This is a Good Thing.)
    9. Tables lock you into the current design and make redesigns MUCH harder than semantic HTML+CSS. (Have you seen CSS Zen Garden?)
    Last edited by timbo89; Sep 09th, 2015 at 11:34 PM.
    brandMatt likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    #6 on Timbo's list is my first reason why I don't use tables. It is so much easier to use just divs and css. I took a class and we were asked to use tables, i refused to do it because I had already learnt how to do it easier in HTML/CSS. The outcome was pretty interesting. The people who used tables spent much more time designing their page and their layout felt forced. These others were very capable designers as well.. Some had more design experience than I and yet most began to ask me how i did what i did, saying i was trying to accomplish "x" but with all the time they had were unable to. Yet i spent almost half the time they did and was able to get it accomplished.

I wont hate on Bleau, use what you are more comfortable with. You will notice that she had anticipated a negative reaction and was right in doing so. People hate tables, and if you use them you may end up losing out on a job if an employer is one of those table haters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post

I wont hate on Bleau, use what you are more comfortable with. You will notice that she had anticipated a negative reaction and was right in doing so. People hate tables, and if you use them you may end up losing out on a job if an employer is one of those table haters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boy if you beat on me I'll beat back lol
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    better choose any cms now all template are design by full responsive dont need to add extra code for tablet and mobile layout

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    There is nothing wrong with using tables, so long as it's not for page layout. I still use tables all the time when the content is suited to a table. A solid example of this is throwing a chart on a webpage. I like to use them for creating repeatable dynamic forms. Anytime the data needs to remain lined up.

Remove Ads