Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Web page names with foreign characters

I have created a French language version of an existing English website. Solved (so far) all the problems with using accented characters on the web pages (principally by meta charset entries). The French domain name has accented characters and that name is working correctly in all the browsers I have tested.

http://www.assurancequalitémontessori.ca

Note that the site is not completed yet and hence "unlaunched".

HOWEVER, the one wrinkle that eludes me is the following.
    If I try to use a web page name which contains a foreign character, that page is apparently unreachable in all browsers!
    For example, there is a page

http://www.assurancequalitémontessor...ilsinfant.html which works

and another identical page

http://www.assurancequalitémontessor...ilsinfant.html which no browser can reach.

Any suggestions? It seems that placing accented characters in a web page name causes problems but I am not aware of a work around?

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    When I try those links the first one as you say works.
    assurancequalitémontessori.ca/detailsinfant.html

The second one (the one that does not work) when I copy the URL from the browser address bar looks like this:
    assurancequalitémontessori.ca/d%C3%A9tailsinfant.html

While they both look the same in the address bar they are very different when I copy them and paste into notepad. It looks like somehow you are coding them differently. I am not a coder so cannot help further but there are others here that can surely add clarification.
    Last edited by delstu; Oct 16th, 2015 at 08:37 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Living and working in Quebec, I have to code all my sites in both English and French. I have found that special characters in file names (pages are files, after all) don't work. If you use an alternate keyboard to type in the special characters, they come with invisible formatting attached, and the same thing happens when you code them in -

for example:

In a text entry you could use "détails" and you would get "détails" in the browser. but for filenames this does not work. I have yet to see a filename in french with special characters.

In the two links you post - the first one works perfectly. The second one does not - and if you look closely at the URL you will see that the first one has no accent on the e in details, while the second one does. If you replace the accented letter in the second URL with an unaccented one, it takes you to the correct page.
    Last edited by AlphaMare; Oct 18th, 2015 at 08:41 AM.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads