Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sarahswansea

Thread: Best way to "infinite loop" video on homepage?

Member #

Best way to "infinite loop" video on homepage?

Hello,

I'm hiring a web designer to create my site, and I'd like the homepage to consist of 5 lines of static text over a looping high-definition video clip like this one: Candle And Old Books In The Dark Stock Footage Video 1008925 - Shutterstock.

I'd like the homepage clip to loop nonstop, as here: Cobble Hill | Web Design & Marketing Agency in Charleston, SC

One web designer I hired wasn't able to do this (the video had a YouTube frame, which looked awful), so I want to make sure the next one has the skills. I have a few designers in mind but I don't know what skills to ask for. I need the video to work flawlessly on all devices.

Can anyone make a suggestions?

Also, I wonder if it's better to create a cinemagraph image like this one?

Many thanks for any help!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    If your video is on YouTube I'm not sure it's possible to loop it - You could try coding in an HTML5 viewer and adding the loop instruction to that.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    This can be done with YouTube, AlphaMare:

https://developers.google.com/youtub...ers?hl=en#loop

But for a HTML5 video that Manahattan needs, you'd do something like this:

Code:
    <video autoplay loop>
        <source src="myvideo.webm" type="video/webm" />
        <source src="myvideo.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
    </video>
    Important notes:

• due to a bug in Chrome, webm has to come before any alternative formats
    • make sure this is turned off for mobile, because it won't autoplay and it will stick an ugly play button over the top of your foreground content
    • IE8 and below don't support <video>

This jQuery plugin can do all the hard parts for you: http://syddev.com/jquery.videoBG/
    brandMatt likes this.

Member #
    <video width="320" height="240" autoplay loop> //EDIT: loop="true" and autoplay="autoplay" are deprecated
    <source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
    <source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg" />
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Best way to &quot;infinite loop&quot; video on homepage?

Why even throw this post up? The previous post was way more in depth, generally more thorough. Sarahswansea I recommend your solution.
    Last edited by brandMatt; Oct 22nd, 2015 at 08:39 PM.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brandMatt View Post
    Why even throw this post up? The previous post was way more in depth, generally more thorough. Sarahswansea I recommend your solution.
    These people don't care to contribute to conversations. They seem to be the type that post for other reasons, whether it be to spam the forum or get their post count up to spam the forums, or some just seem to post n disappear. They don't care where the conversation has went they just read the OP and ignore the rest.

It may be that they don't understand forums and forum etiquette too. Either way it could be worst. Theres people that will come in and post "thats cool" or "thanks" in 5year old conversations. That just drives me insane.

Id definitely start with Sarah's recommendation as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads