Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: What to choose?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Codeschool

2 66.67%
  • TeamTreeHouse

0 0%
  • None of te above

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Where is better to continue?

Member #

Where is better to continue?

First of all I want to say hi to everybody as I am new to this community. I just started to learn HTML/CSS, and I start to learn on Codecademy, I made myself a PRO account and started to learn it ( i want to learn php, jquery, ruby and all stuffs but later ).

This will not get me so far, just like a Advanced Begginer I think and I wonder what site to choose after between Codeschool and TeamTreeHouse. Can you give me some advice? Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I personally have used Treehouse and liked it a lot, but you dont have to take my word for it. They have a free trial that you can take advantage of. Never tried Codeschool so I can't compare the 2, but I'd see if they have a trial as well. If so test them both out and see what you like better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lenie and brandMatt like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    None of the above. There is no singular source for learning things related to the web, nor should there be. If anything, Google's a better teacher than either of those sites and it's a loosely organized collection of stuff that requires you to put the right things into a box to find it.

You may find yourself referring to several sites primarily (e.g. WDF, Stack Overflow, possibly Experts-Exchange), but you shouldn't have one primary go-to source.
    Lenie and brandMatt like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    None of the above. There is no singular source for learning things related to the web, nor should there be. If anything, Google's a better teacher than either of those sites and it's a loosely organized collection of stuff that requires you to put the right things into a box to find it.

You may find yourself referring to several sites primarily (e.g. WDF, Stack Overflow, possibly Experts-Exchange), but you shouldn't have one primary go-to source.
    Right, you will never start learning and will constantly be looking up new things. In the long run WDF/ Stack Overflow will be a bigger help, but to get your foot in the door and get your feet wet there are benefits to using something like Codecademy and Treehouse, at least it was for me. Its like a crash course for the rest of your learning. Teaches you where to start so you know what to ask on the other sites.

TheGAME1264, brandMatt and Lenie like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not necessarily sure about that. Maybe it's because those sites weren't around when I started in the dark ages of the 20th century, but I don't think anyone needs them.

Again, if they work for you, use them by all means. I just want to make sure that the learning isn't confined to a single source.
    Lenie likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I'm not necessarily sure about that. Maybe it's because those sites weren't around when I started in the dark ages of the 20th century, but I don't think anyone needs them.

Again, if they work for you, use them by all means. I just want to make sure that the learning isn't confined to a single source.
    For me it was more about getting my feet wet. I didn't really have anyone showing me how to do this or that and I was asking all the wrong things in google. Codeacedmy gave me a crash course in html/css and javascript that helped me learn the basic structure and terms which made googling questions more effective.

brandMatt and breno like this.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    For me it was more about getting my feet wet. I didn't really have anyone showing me how to do this or that and I was asking all the wrong things in google. Codeacedmy gave me a crash course in html/css and javascript that helped me learn the basic structure and terms which made googling questions more effective.

Yeah I vouch for code academy on that front, at the time, I needed structured learning and it helped experience a lot of "aha!" moments by the way they explained things and also had you hands on. But that being said, I've moved on and I learn from everywhere, namely Google, stack overflow (always there for me lol) css-tricks, and even following certain websites and people on twitter who tweet articles, tutorials and blogs on different aspects of the industry.
    Devdocs.io is another awesome resource and Mozilla Developer Network from time to time.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    CSS-Tricks is another good one. I forgot about them. Good call, breno.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I started to learn the basics from Lynda.com tutorials. Now i just use google to find very specific information. It's important to note that this specific information would be useless to me without learning the basics first.

After starting with the Lynda.com tuts, I went back to college to refine my knowledge. I'm not saying tradition education is the best path for everyone, I am saying it was for me. I wanted to be able to ask a pro questions, but personally, body language can be such a massive source of information.

A buddy of mine who didn't opt for the traditional academic path, swears by treehouse.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    CSS-Tricks is another good one. I forgot about them. Good call, breno.
    Yeah it sure is devdocs.io is also another one that should be on everyones bookmark list

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads