Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Which languages to use and how to start?

Member #

Which languages to use and how to start?

Dear community,

I am responsible for the migration of our website to a new system. In the course of the migration it turned out that my boss wants me to change the layout and other things of our new website as well. (We are gonna migrate the existing homepage to a Wordpress system, buy a premium Theme and modify that one. I was thinking about creating a special page template for the start page. So, header and footer will probably included by the theme used. My plan is to style the content area.)
    For example, he wants a pretty cool startpage without a normal navigation bar. The attached picture shows what might be something that he would like to have.

It is just a very easy example since I do not want to show the whole prototype here. In fact, the circles are going to be hexagons. We want to add mouseovers as well, for example, if you hover a circle/hexagon, it should flip or something else and then show the menu point as text (like the "contact" link. The background should be a huge image.

So, basically, instead of having a normal navigation bar, on the top, he wants to have a very custom arrangement of the elements.

The problem is that I have never coded something like this before. I have knowledge in HTML, CSS, a little bit Javascript and I am willing to teach myself a lot of things. The problem is that I do not know which programming languages to use the best here and how to start. As I said, I have never created such an interactive, custom styled menu before.

Is there anyone around who has some good advice? How do I do this?

Best regards
    Jominho
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Don't. That would be my advice to you. Don't build that.

What your boss wants is what's known as "Mystery Meat Navigation", and is a very, very bad idea. The page below explains why:

Introduction to Mystery Meat Navigation
    khenney likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I agree with TheGAME1264, it is a very very bad design which will hurt you a lot. Generally, it is a good practice to let designers design instead of letting the creativity of people, who know nothing about web design/usability go wild.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Don't. That would be my advice to you. Don't build that.

What your boss wants is what's known as "Mystery Meat Navigation", and is a very, very bad idea. The page below explains why:

Introduction to Mystery Meat Navigation

This kind of design, is it seo friendly?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jominho View Post
    Dear community,

I am responsible for the migration of our website to a new system. In the course of the migration it turned out that my boss wants me to change the layout and other things of our new website as well. (We are gonna migrate the existing homepage to a Wordpress system, buy a premium Theme and modify that one. I was thinking about creating a special page template for the start page. So, header and footer will probably included by the theme used. My plan is to style the content area.)
    For example, he wants a pretty cool startpage without a normal navigation bar. The attached picture shows what might be something that he would like to have.

It is just a very easy example since I do not want to show the whole prototype here. In fact, the circles are going to be hexagons. We want to add mouseovers as well, for example, if you hover a circle/hexagon, it should flip or something else and then show the menu point as text (like the "contact" link. The background should be a huge image.

So, basically, instead of having a normal navigation bar, on the top, he wants to have a very custom arrangement of the elements.

The problem is that I have never coded something like this before. I have knowledge in HTML, CSS, a little bit Javascript and I am willing to teach myself a lot of things. The problem is that I do not know which programming languages to use the best here and how to start. As I said, I have never created such an interactive, custom styled menu before.

Is there anyone around who has some good advice? How do I do this?

Best regards
    Jominho
    I took a research about this Mystery Meat Navigation, and found
    really few information about this design.

Why not tell your boss to just use parallax designs?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Neri View Post
    I took a research about this Mystery Meat Navigation, and found
    really few information about this design.

Why not tell your boss to just use parallax designs?
    Yes. Let's do that.
    meme8e5cd905badd669b.jpg
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Neri View Post
    This kind of design, is it seo friendly?
    The answer is, "it really doesn't matter". It's not user friendly. That's where the conversation should begin and end.
    hiitsme likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    Yes. Let's do that.
    meme8e5cd905badd669b.jpg
    I'm going to have a heart attack.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    The answer is, "it really doesn't matter". It's not user friendly. That's where the conversation should begin and end.
    Well, you have a point

Member #
    Hey,

thank you for your input and your feedback! I just figured out that I had a misconception of the desired design myself.

The website is supposed to have a normal navigation bar, like

Code:
    Home  -  Contact  -  News  -  AboutUs -  Whatever

The "fancy" element on the start page is supposed to point to one of the submenus. If you have for example the submenu

Code:
    AboutUs
          History
          Team
          Jobs
          Facts
    each of the circles in the picture should point to one topic of the submenu.

Addtionally, to put the emphasis on this "fancy" element, my boss wants the navigation bar on the front page to be more hidden/simple, for example like in a mobile menu where is just one button and a dropdown. On the other sites, it can be the normal navigation bar. (see picture) The reason is that he wants to guide the reader to our main research points.

I still do know that it is not the best decision, especially with regard to consistency. But it would rather not affect ranking, would it?

I would love to get some feedback from you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jominho; Apr 21st, 2016 at 02:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads