Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anybody using HTML5 Imports?

Member #

Anybody using HTML5 Imports?

Are any of you using HTML5 Imports?

It would be ideal for title bars and side bars, among other things, but it does not seem to be widely implemented yet...?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've heard of them myself, but I don't see what advantages they would offer over say a server-side include file or a master page in ASP.net.

EDIT: that would put me in the "No" group.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I've heard of them myself, but I don't see what advantages they would offer over say a server-side include file or a master page in ASP.net.
    The advantage is that I can use Imports without requiring a supporting technology (server side includes or ASP.NET)

I can't test server side includes on my own PC (I imagine) but ASP.NET master pages may be a possibility.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oransen View Post
    ...I can't test server side includes on my own PC (I imagine)...
    You sure can.

I haven't heard of HTML5 Imports before, but it's just as well. There were a few things added in the HTML5 spec that don't belong. This, IMHO, is one of them. It's a separation of concerns issue. Such things should be left to server side technologies. HTML should stay in the markup lane.

Side note: Support is abysmal: Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc Mozilla apparently has no intention of supporting it either.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Jul 20th, 2016 at 06:23 AM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    HTML should stay in the markup lane.
    HTML includes other content, like sound, images etc, why not other content too?

We'll have to agree to disagree,but I won't use Imports because of the current level of support.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Because it will be limited in what it can do, and the whole point of server-side includes was a universally supported means of being able to include content. HTML Imports are a non-solution to a problem that was clearly put to bed over 15 years ago.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I've just spent the last hour trying to get SSI going on IIS7. The configuration/modules/settings all say that they are running, but the simple examples I find on the web don't work. Should this work for example:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <HTML>
    <TITLE>Test File</TITLE>
    <HEAD>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    ghgjhgjhg
    <!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->
    aaaa
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

?

Member #

never used import

I have never used import though. but recently read about it. It says that import will change the way we include different files. and will be effective for loading bootstrap. we will just use import and link to bootstrap html, and everything which bootstrap requires will be imported.

Not sure hoe much of use it is though or my understanding is correct or not!!

Member #
    For my purposes it would mean the sidebar of a site would be included, so (like server side includes) to change the side bar of 100 pages you just include the single side bar page.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oransen View Post
    I've just spent the last hour trying to get SSI going on IIS7. The configuration/modules/settings all say that they are running, but the simple examples I find on the web don't work. Should this work for example:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <HTML>
    <TITLE>Test File</TITLE>
    <HEAD>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    ghgjhgjhg
    <!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->
    aaaa
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

?
    Please start a new thread for this. We'll be happy to help you work through it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads