Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Cant understand min/max width , height

Member #

Cant understand min/max width , height

Hello, i`ve gotten into web design recently and im having some problems with understanding the principles of max.min . For exemple , why would i need theese thinks when i can use only the simple height/width ?
    Ive tired to understand better theese things ( Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet ) but still i cant find the diference .. Also I know that min-height for exemple is the minimum height that a div ( for exemple) can have .

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    The difference comes in when the viewport changes size.

If you have a min-width set on an image, it won't allow the image to get too small. So, say you have an image set to 50% width, but you don't want it to shrink below 200px wide. You'd set the min-width to 200px. If the viewport gets below 400px wide, the image would then take up more than 50% of the width.

There are a million other use cases, but in general, min/max values are used to control the size of something in different environments.
    ugochukwu95 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Hey ronald, thanks for your response .

I haven`t though about using that way , from your answer i guess the propriety is used more on making responsive website .. which is why i didnt got it at first ( im not that far yet, im still learning ) .

Remove Ads