Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Angry Crazy wierd problem

OK, I need help with something I can't figure out. I'm working on a web site for a friend who owns a restaurant, I'm doing the menus and for some reason not all the text is the same size when I load it on a mobile device in portrait view. All the text I have in tables is tiny, and the rest of the text which is in div containers are the proper size. No matter what I do I cannot get all the text the same size. However, when I load it in Landscape all text IS proper size and even. There's only one tag setting the text size for the whole page. I've placed size tags in each element, each section, I've even tried to set each text line. Even when I was able to even out all the text in portrait, switch to landscape or desktop view and OMG even worse than before.
    I'm using responsive layout design for the site, Screen scale meta tag is in place, grids, I've checked everything and no matter what I do nothing seems to work. It seems that all the text inside the tables are rescaling with the change in screen width+height, but the div text isn't. Could that be a clue ?
    Can any one tell me where I'm going wrong and how to fix this I've included a screen shot to show what I'm talking about, ( ...assuming I did right ) and I need to get all the text the same or proper size.

--- Yea I know, the banner links is a little out of whack. I've since fixed that part after taking this screen. It's properly set now. In Case anyone notices.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    We need a link to be able to help you. If it isn't on a web server, please add it to one and share the link.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    OK, here's the link ( Tim's Menu ). This menu.htm file is actually a frame page. I got to playing around a bit after uploading switching between the frame page ( menu.htm ) and the actual menu page itself ( main.htm ). Oddly the main.htm page did load properly like I want it to, but when I load the main page inside the frame page that's when the text goes wacko. So I've figured out the frame page is the source of the problem, but why would a frame cause the text inside my table tags to shrink tiny leaving the rest of my text unchanged? That doesn't make sense to me. I suppose I could change the links layout to something other than frames but this works best for what I'm doing. So if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    The frame is only going to load CSS called within its own HTML. I don't even see a menu. Looks like there's no content actually even in that frame.

There is a better way to do this. It requires some PHP, which your host supports. The PHP is so simple you don't even need to know PHP to do it, and it will work so much better than using a frame, not to mention usability is better. If you need a reason why to do this, load the page, put your mouse over the header and try to scroll using the mouse wheel. See that the page doesn't scroll? That's because it's trying to scroll the frame instead. Users who encounter this will likely believe your site is broken and leave.

Anyway, without further ado:

If this is the index page's HTML:
    HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
      <!--- HEAD STUFF LIKE TITLE TAG AND CSS LINK -->
    </head>
    <body>
      <header>
        <!--- This is where your menu would go --->
        <!--- PHP CODE BELOW --->
        <?php include("path/to/menu.php"); ?>
      </header>

<!---Rest of body stuff here--->

</body>
    </html>
    Now, with that PHP snippet in there, change the file extension of your HTML files to .php. Then, create a file called menu.php in the directory from the snippet. and build your menu there. You don't need any other HTML other than just what it takes to make the menu. When the page loads, the server will add the HTML from the menu file to the page as if it were already a part of it. Then, you don't need to mess with extra CSS files or try to get frames, which are deprecated anyway, to work.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thank you - I'll try that out and see if that solves my problem.

Remove Ads