Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Help with Transferring Websitre Files

I transferred my website files including the style sheet using File Zilla- hoping that everything on the website will come out right..Instead, all I get are white pages broken images, e.tc. The background images and sidebar arent rendering either.The site is a mess. Please help. Here is the link

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's not a lot we can do to help here other than provide general guidelines. But here are some things that you'll want to check.

1) Files are quite often CaSe-SeNsItIvE. Make sure that the case matches in your code. Just having the right filename isn't enough: FnD.css is considered different on most servers than fnd.css.

2) Fix this tag:
    Code:
    <meta name="keywords"FnD"/>
    That one extra quote and "FND" can throw off the entire page potentially. I'd get rid of this tag outright, as it won't do you any good anyway.

3) Make sure your code validates. It doesn't.

[Invalid] Markup Validation of http://tempcopy.orgfree.com/ - W3C Markup Validator

In particular, you have a few spots besides the tag I've indicated with extra quotes and things. If you copied this directly from a live, functional site, then chances are you copied it incorrectly. If not, then this is probably a site that "worked" in spite of its errors.

4) Consider moving it somewhere that isn't free. Free hosts usually are free for a reason (i.e. they suck).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Do you have a test server? If you can set one up then do so or alternatively get a test folder on the server where you can upload changes and test them before maing them live

Member #
    You mean something like IIS?

Remove Ads