Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Assistance needed

Good day.

I am hoping that someone will be willing to assist me. I am not a web designer, but I am a teacher. I teach Afrikaans as a second language and have setup a website for students to access where they can download a booklet with passages and corresponding MP3s of the passages being read out. This is done with the aim to help them hear the language.This is a free service and I do not make any money from it,

URL: www.mrvaip.com

I bought a template from ThemeForest and edited it to the best of my ability to look the way it does now.

What I need though is to make a change to the "Courses" page. At the moment there is only 1 course, but the list of items available for download is very long. This will get even longer when I add more courses. I need to code it so that it shows the course name and then when you click on it, it should drop down to reveal all the items available for download.

There seems to be an issue now with the website stating "There is a problem with this website's security certificate”, but I have emailed by webhost to advise on this. It is however a safe website.

Thank you in advance,
    Willem

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Looks as though your SSL issue was resolved. Typically you get messages when the SSLs either expire or are misconfigured (moreso the former). If you need an SSL, you'll need to renew it every so often (typically annually, but it may be longer depending on what you purchased).

What you're probably looking for is some server-side coding and a database. Here's an introductory tutorial on PHP (server-side language)/MySQL (how to set up a database, how to retrieve info from it, etc.) The major difference between server-side coding and client-side coding is that client-side code actually shows up in the source of the page; it's what browsers use to interpret your layout and where to put things and what colors to use and things like that. With PHP and other server-side languages, you don't see any code at all except in rare circumstances. Stuff is done in the background.

I could break it down, but given the nature of the topic it's a bit too much for a forum, so you'd be better off going through and adapting things to your needs if you can.

PHP/MySQL Tutorial - Part 1

If you can't, or if you want some help, there are people who can assist you better than I can with PHP/MySQL. I use different languages/frameworks for the most part, but some people such as mlseim might be able to pitch in. What I would suggest is to take the tutorial, go as far with it as you can understand, and then get us to help you fill in whatever blanks you're missing.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Scurry View Post
    i want to give you advice about colors. it is good if you use some bright color instead of black.
    "Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what dog food to give my dog."
    "Your dog is black. Get a yellow dog."

Last warning. Pay attention to what's being asked and stop giving one-line generic silly advice.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    What I would suggest is to take the tutorial, go as far with it as you can understand, and then get us to help you fill in whatever blanks you're missing.
    Thank you. Yes. My host has reinstalled the SSL certificate.

I'll have a look as this tut and post back. Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're welcome! Keep us posted.

Remove Ads