Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Graphical Editor For Bootstrap

I'm beginning to learn Bootstrap 4.0. There are many graphical editors available for Bootstrap such as Pinegrow. Do I need one? Do most Bootstrap users use a graphical editor? Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    No and no. Also, please don't.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    No and no. Also, please don't.
    Thanks for your reply. What are the reasons that a graphical editor is bad?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Feel free to search around on these forums, as this has been answered more times than I can count, but:

WYSIWYG editors have declined heavily in popularity over the years because web standards have become important to the user experience.

I know on the surface that doesn't mean anything to you, but what you're basically doing is letting an unintelligent program attempt to write code that was meant for humans to write. That becomes a problem very quickly, because no one has made a program that can intelligently apply styles to components in any way that will work consistently across various platforms. Additionally, it can't apply actual thought to how components are laid out. For instance, If you have an unordered list of links for a nav, like so:
    HTML Code:
    <nav>
      <ul>
        <li>link item</li>
        <li>link item</li>
        <li>link item</li>
        <li>link item</li>
      </ul>
    </nav>
    A human would just apply a set of common styles to that to make it flow horizontally and space evenly. Everything will be properly spaced because the rules will apply to all of the links. It would take 4 lines of CSS, if you include the selector.

WYSIWYG editors can't do that. Not on their own, anyway. You would have to tell them all of those rules, and override their normal behavior to make it happen. That ends up being more tedious than just writing the 3 lines of CSS to make the links go horizontal and space evenly. Otherwise, the editor will manually position each of those things. Most will use some combination of absolute positioning, individually set margins, etc, often using a separate class for each item with a separate set of styles.

Even Macaw, probably the most advanced visual editor ever made, died a very quick and painful death because of this. The reasons go on, but that's the gist.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Aug 20th, 2017 at 05:16 AM.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thank you for your extensive reply. I may be using the wrong term when I say graphical editor (GE). An important problem you mention is that GE's will present things in their own way. It may not be the best way or the way the developer wants.

I have been looking at Pinegrow (https://pinegrow.com). I get the impression that its very flexible when used with Bootstrap and Atom. Do you consider Pinegrow a GE or something else?

Thanks
    Last edited by Engine44; Aug 20th, 2017 at 05:55 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I don't know Pinegrow personally, but it looks like it's based on predefined templates that you edit. If that's the case, it'll be fine for a few sites, but down the line, that usefulness will break down. It's kind of a niche-use tool, if that makes sense. If you're looking to do one thing and do it "well enough", it's probably fine. If you're looking to actually get into development and make yourself versatile, just learn to code.

But yeah, I'd call that a graphical editor. Pretty much WYSIWYG, just on rails so you don't make anything super awful.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Thanks. My goal at the moment is to build one website with a lot of features. I do plan on learning frontend code.

Remove Ads