Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

how do I make the email submit form actually work ?

the last time I created a website it was all in Flash with AS and now I'm starting over from scratch using HTML5 responsive templates. I went thru many of them before I settled on this one that I really love - well until now.

I love the template I used to design the site and the few people who have seen it all like it as well, but am stuck at how to make the email form actually submit an email.

I also understand that using the Mail To: function is not accurate enough and considering this is actually now for my new nonprofit, I need it to work 100% (or as close as possible), so that's not an option.

after researching this it seems php is what I should be using but I've yet to find the proper code and I think it's because this template design is set up as a floating page the way it is.

cut and pasted below is the code for the floating page - please can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need to do or learn? I've been at this for a few weeks now and am completely stymied!!

a *lot* of the confusion (for me) is where the # sign is used for the action. I understand it's being used as a placeholder but I'm at a complete loss as to what to replace it with!

*also* everything is set up on my hosting site for the email, that's already been tested.

ok - here's the code I have which only displays the form but doesn't send the email:

<!-- Contact -->
    <article id="contact">
    <h2 class="major">Contact</h2>
    <form method="post" action="#">
    <div class="field half first">
    <label for="name">Name</label>
    <input type="text" name="name" id="name" />
    </div>
    <div class="field half">
    <label for="email">Email</label>
    <input type="text" name="email" id="email" />
    </div>
    <div class="field">
    <label for="message">Message</label>
    <textarea name="message" id="message" rows="4"></textarea>
    </div>
    <ul class="actions">
    <li><input type="submit" value="Send Message" class="special" /></li>
    <li><input type="reset" value="Reset" /></li>
    </ul>
    </form>

many many thanks for any and all suggestions, advice, comments whatever.!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You need some kind of server-side script to handle that. A long time ago, you could just make the email address the form's action. They got rid of that some time ago, and now you need to send the information to a script on the server to send it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads