Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Having an irritating problem with a site I'm developing. The layout consists of two frames (I know all about the cons of frames, so let's not go there). The bottom frame contains the nav section and is a fixed height width and the top frame contains the content. The content is contained in a table of fixed width and height. Both the nav section and the content section are the same width and both are centered on the page so that they are lined up properly.

The problem I am having is when the content frame is too large to be displayed within the frame, causing a scrollbar to be displayed, which is fine. The problem is with Mozilla/Netscape - the scrollbar causes the page to shift to the left, which means it is no longer aligned with the nav section of the bottom frame. This does not occur in IE6 (don't know about 5) - IE displays the scrollbar but does not shift the page over (so both frames remained aligned with each other.

I've attached two files - the first one shows the way the page should be displayed at all times (no matter what the size of the browser window).

The second file shows what occurs when the content frame needs a scrollbar and shifts the page to the left. Anyone know how to prevent this or is just an inherihent problem with Mozilla/Netscape?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    The second file... showing the shift top frame

Member #
    Are you using tables to center those frames ?

Member #
    The reason for this is because IE always has a scrollbar visible - but in Mozilla, the scrollbar only appears ikf it is required.

I think the best thing to do is to make sure your tables are no larger than 780 pixels at maximum, and then you shouldn't have a problem?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    In the frame take you can choose SCROLLING="YES". Unfortunately this wont fix your problem in netscape, because unless the page is long enough, it dosn't know whether to give you a vertical or horizontal scrollbar.

To get around this, you can try making it so the page is always long. I posted a reply earlier on how to do this. Just follow the code that I put on the post, and set the height of the image to something like 650. This should make it so that the page is always long enough to show the scrollbar.

http://www.webdesignforums.net/thread9441.html

I have attached the spacer.gif file to this post.
    ViewTopia Web Hosting
    Coming Soon!

Member #
    PS. Firebird kicks ***.

Coming Soon!

Remove Ads