Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Best way to get a video on website. Some help with CSS

Hey there,

I'm using Jimdo, and it's been a big pain trying to adjust it with the limited templates, and also since I have no coding experience.

Basically I have two questions. I can't upload videos to Jimdo, but I can embed them from youtube. Problem is, I don't want the customer to be able to link back to the youtube channel. I also would prefer to simply have the video on the site which plays when the customer puts their mouse over it. Is this possible? Or perhaps if I can't do it that way, I thought there might be a different video player out there that has a different effect when it's embedded into the website for Jimdo?

My other problem is that I need to adjust the size of the background video on my Jimdo website. It's too zoomed in and it's only showing the bottom half of the video. Would someone be abe to give me the right CSS code?

I'm quite new to CSS, hence my beginner questions. I appreciate any advice! There seems to not be a Jimdo forum out there and I'm stuck trying to solve these problems with no coding experience!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I'm not sure if you can stop Youtube linking back to their site within a video. This is the reason Youtube is free in the first place as, you are essentially advertising for them. You can use modest branding to make it less obvious by changing the url in the embed code, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-RmUAD...ontrols=0&

You could try and look for another video hosting service that doesn't add back links within the videos when you embed them.

Being able to start a video when you hover the mouse over it will require javascript and may also require using an API for the video hosting provider unless you are hosting the video within your website and using your own video player.

If you send me the link to your website where I can take a look at the background video, I'll let you know what you can add to CSS to fix it.

Member #
    Thank you sir. I'll try to look into some other video upload websites.

Here's the website as it stands now.

www.tunakaymedia.com

A few problems are: It only shows the bottom half of the video up top.
    The space above the phone number and Under Construction is too big
    Also I can't get those 8 images to be givver in the middle of the page, because the template has big margins on both sides
    of the page. If I could get rid of those margins it would be great. Then I assume I could make them bigger.
    Then there's the grey area at the bottom.

I don't expect you to look into everything but I'd really appreciate it if I had the code to fix that gap and the video up top. Basically, Jimdo gives the option of inserting a background video, which can be a youtube video. When I do this, it plays continually like so.

I appreciate it!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I've seen people dealing with Youtube on this issue before. IIRC, you can do what you're wanting with Vimeo.

Regarding play on hover, Vimeo's embedded videos to expose an API that allows you to pause and play them using your own controls, which could be set up to work with mousein and mouseout. It'll require some code on your part, but their documentation looks pretty solid: https://developer.vimeo.com/player
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thanks for the help! I found that I was adding the youtube video wrong with Jimdo. I had to add it as a Widget rather than a video, so I at least solved the problems with the videos. Now just need to fix the margins.

Remove Ads