Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By numerouno

Thread: I need to make my site responsive

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I need to make my site responsive

I need to do it immediately and I want to keep the same design, colors etc so I will not confuse my readers....
    I want to use bootstrap, is that the best way to do it?

here is the link to my site
    interactivewebtech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I do not know how to make the right menu, beside the center part, because in mobile view that menu will be squeezed down below the main content..it would look ugly i think.......

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by numerouno View Post
    I need to do it immediately and I want to keep the same design, colors etc so I will not confuse my readers....
    I want to use bootstrap, is that the best way to do it?

here is the link to my site
    Bootstrap would be my first choice since you have an easy framework from which to work. The hardest part is going to be your decision on collapsing both menus into a mobile hamburger menu to make for a better UX. You can hide that long side menu with bootstrap using something like xs-hidden and turning on your mobile hamburger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoysDriveAudi View Post
    Bootstrap would be my first choice since you have an easy framework from which to work. The hardest part is going to be your decision on collapsing both menus into a mobile hamburger menu to make for a better UX. You can hide that long side menu with bootstrap using something like xs-hidden and turning on your mobile hamburger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I want to then use mobile menu that combines both menus but for non mobile I just want to use the right one
    I am worried about seo how it will afffect if I get rid of right menu etc...now my right menu is only on few pages.....so I wonder if I put everything under main menu, it will affect seo....because google is quirky and crazy

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I can't believe in this day and age, there are still websites out there using table based layouts. You need to overhaul pretty much all the markup on that website and bring it up to date and ideally switch to HTML5. As for making the site responsive, Bootstrap is a great choice and will make turning it into a mobile responsive website much easier.

Regarding the contents menu, Bootstrap also has the ability to change the order of columns, using the "push" and "pull" classes or the "order" classes, if using the newer bootstrap. This means you could reorder the side menu to appear before the content on smaller screens. You can then, as previously mentioned, collapse the menu and use display a hamburger icon to expand it. However, if you are already using a hamburger icon for the main menu, I would recommend using a different icon or perhaps text along the lines of "Show content menu" to expand it to avoid confusion.

If you go down the route of putting both menus into a single collapsable menu, this should not affect the seo of the page.

I would also recommend redesigning your website's look. It looks extremely dated and the notion of not updating the look of the site because you don't want to "confuse my readers" assumes that your readers are 3 year old children, who's minds would be blown if the design changed, which I'm sure is not the case. When you redecorate your house, do you walk from room to room, struggling to comprehend where the doors are or where to go? I doubt it.

Your website's design could easily be brought up to date while keeping the same colours and similar layout without confusing anyone. Not to mention the fact that new visitors to your site will find a fresher, more modern design much more inviting than a site that looks like a relic from the 90's. Most of the image based design such as the gradients, shadows and even potentially the blue badge and red arrow could be recreated in pure CSS which would also benefit the site from increased loading speeds which would in turn help with SEO.

Member #
    You need a basic understanding of classes and selectors and how they effect how they effect CSS and HTML.
    Like a CSS file will be linked to a html file in the head section with a link tag.
    for instance <div class="banana"> content </div> in html would be .class in CSS and the CSS will be able to manipulate anything contained in the divider class banana.

Where as an ID is similar but is <div id="banana"> content </div> The main difference is the use of class is meant to be re used a lot and ID is meant to be one off. and in CSS ID is accessed by using # instead of .

Member #
    If you want responsive website then bootstrap is good option they full features of responsive website. give always positive result
    i almost all website done in bootstrap or php.

Remove Ads