Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,
    I'm having this strange problem with an horizontal scrollbar showing up in the redesign of a site. the only difference in the redesign is that instead of having an embedded flash movie as a navigation bar in my div id="layer3" I know have a text based navigation bar in that same div id="layer3"
    This seems to only happen in IE 5 on a Mac and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Here is an example of both designs :

old one :

http://killwhat.com/html/shtml/alpha...ecent_new.html

new one:

http://killwhat.com/html/shtml/alpha...t_new_alt.html

Any suggestions how I can get rid of this problem without using iframes ? thanks

Mon
    Member #
    Hi,
    You only have to quit <center> in:

<div id="Layer4" style="position:absolute; left:235px; top:131; width:455px; height:360; z-index:4; overflow: auto; clip: rect(0 455 360 0); visibility: visible">
    <center>
    <table width="390" border="3" bordercolor="#9900000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" align="center">
    <tr>

Cheers:
    Mon

Member #
    hey! thanks for that... Why would that make any differences? Makes no sense to me... Though now, when I set the scroll=auto instead of scroll=no in the body tag, I get the old known IE5 Mac problem where the page scrolls all the way down until where the hidden portion of my layer finishes.

I think I'm stuck with using a javascript to redirect IE5 Mac users to a specific IE5 Mac compliant page (with iframes to replicate the same effect)

Thanks again !

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just a quick note - <center> isn't 100% compatible and isn't supported by xHTML. I would use <div align="center"> instead. If you want to go the whole way use <div class="center"> and center that class in your style sheet.

Member #
    Thanks for the clarification!

Right now, I'm still plagued with this known bug for Mac users on IE5. Does anyone have a suggestion for a workaround ?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/css2tests/ie5mac/auto.html

The way I've dealt with this in the past is with a IE5 Mac user specific page (with an iframe to reproduce the same layout) but if anyone has a suggestion on how to avoid creating a second page, I'm all ears.

thanks again!!!

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not 100% sure but I have a feeling that the problem is unavoidable hence the general tendency to avoid layers.

Member #
    It seems to me that layers cause problems (though the only one so far is this ie5 for mac users bug. but layers behave fine as long as you stay clear from overlapping them), iframes cause problems (not widely supported by all browsers),frames are a nightmare (with SE especially) and flash causes too many headaches (search engine wise it's hopeless and with the new launch of IE in 2004, people using flash are in for quite a nightmare). How would you redesign my page without using any of those and still have that kind of a layout ? I'd love to consider any other technic to make the site even more cross-platform. thanks!

Member #
    oh man

i have the very same problem.

But well, there is something I have seen on several web pages, but I have no idea how to make. (could ask in the javascript section though)
    Its something thats like an artificial scrollbar. Instead of a proper scrollbar, you can have for example, two arrows, for up and down.
    And I don't mean as inside a flash movie. Really just to scroll up and down a normal text page.
    I've seen that. Now, does anyone have a clue how to make it? haha

Member #
    hmmm.... ok on artifiical scrollbars:
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/thread8459.html

or more precisely, this page: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...gescroller.htm

ive not tried it out yet, gonna do in a bit .

Member #
    no it aint working for me.... :-/ or maybe im just dumb. (more likely)

Remove Ads