Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have created a website that does not use frames or a framepage (as least I thought it didn't). I have this page running on my own web server and everything seemed ok. However, now that I submitted my site to search engines and it is showing up on them it's become evident that my description and keywords are not working. My site shows up only if I search the exact name of my site (my domain name). I also noticed that the HTML verification that this service uses was complaining about my frameset tag. The thing is I don't have a frameset tag on my page. When I use the "view source" feature on my various web browsers I get strange results. With IE all is normal (you see the page I coded) but with netscape and mozilla I get this empty page that is something like this:
    <html>
    <frameset border=0 rows="100%,*" frameborder="no" marginleft=0 margintop=0 marginright=0 marginbottom=0>
    <frame src="http://mywebsite.com:8080" scrolling=auto frameborder="no" border=0 noresize>
    <frame topmargin="0" marginwidth=0 scrolling=no marginheight=0 frameborder="no" border=0 noresize>
    </frameset>
    </html>

It also has two empy meta tags for description and keywords but the only thing it has is just the domain name of my website. This page is not on my webserver! It seems it is being auto-generated by netscape and the webcrawlers that the search engine service is using. What should I do? Having my site listed only under my exact domain name isn't going to do me any good as if ppl new my domain name they wouldn't be searching for my site in the first place. I do have mouseovers on my site but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it. I have combed my site for any frame tags and I have none (I coded the site by hand with a regular text editor like notepad). Please help. How do I get rid of this stupid framepage that keeps getting auto-generated?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Member #
    I think that the framepage is being generated by your host. Do you have "Domain Cloaking" or "Web Forwarding" turned on? They are the only things I can think about which might trigger such a result.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The reason they're doing the frame thing is that they're not using the default port (80) to host you, they're using port 8080 instead. I think that's a Tomcat thing, although it can be changed to port 80 if you know how. Anyhow, the frame wraps your site at port 8080. Don't ask me why they're doing this... you should take it up with them. Seems like a crappy way of hosting a site, though!

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you browse directly to www.mywebsite.com:8080 do you get your site without the frame rubbish?

Remove Ads