Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Sorry for the amount of topics, but each of them are different questions Now I would like to know if it is possible to have a popup window without the windows xp or windows 8x... layout around it. I tried the chromeless window, but that doesn't work with Windows XP SP1. Anyone?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    There used to be a way to do chromeless windows using the "fullscreen" option and then resizing afterwards.

Microsoft removed the ability to do that in an IE patch, though, because it is a security threat (Not sure exactly how, but apparently it is).

The only way I can think of getting a chromeless IE window is to embed a browser object in a VB app and make THAT chromeless, or to use the active desktop, which essentially does that for you.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    incidentally, You can use "window.showModalDialog" to pop up a window that has no 3D groove around it... then use <body bgcolor="ButtonFace"> to make the bg windows gray... nice trick for making popups that look like application windows without the typical IE indentation.

Member #
    There is a javascript somewhere that allows you to have a browser fill the entire screen with no borders, i'll try and look it out if you need it...?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Originally posted by Jens
    Sorry for the amount of topics, but each of them are different questions Now I would like to know if it is possible to have a popup window without the windows xp or windows 8x... layout around it. I tried the chromeless window, but that doesn't work with Windows XP SP1. Anyone?

Well you can use java script for any type of popup window...

there is a script for chromeless window also but i didnt remember that url..

if you are using dreamweaver there is facitlity also for that type of window i think otherwise just check following

http://javascript.internet.com
    http://javascript.com/
    http://www.javascriptkit.com

search for there "popup" "window"

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Re: Re: Window with no windows layout

Originally posted by justlivyalife
    There is a javascript somewhere that allows you to have a browser fill the entire screen with no borders, i'll try and look it out if you need it...?
    I listed that option in my first post... it is "fullscreen", listed in the properties value of the window.open method.
    Originally posted by dotcommakers
    there is a script for chromeless window also but i didnt remember that url..
    I mentioned in my first post that chromeless windows were a bug in IE and are no longer doable. (Which is why you no longer see them 1!!)

For those of you who can't live without knowing HOW to do chromeless windows (even though you can't do them anymore)... here's the script:
    Code:
    <script>
    var chromeLess = window.open("chromeless.htm", "chromeLess", "fullscreen");
    chromeLess.resizeTo(600, 400);
    chromeLess.moveTo(20, 20);
    </script>
    Of course it won't work, for the reason I gave in my first post... but feel free to try it just so you can be sure

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The security reason that transio refers to is as follows: by simulating an entire full screen and "recreating" the various icons at the top and bottom (the taskbar, the various toolbars, etc.), the coder is implying to the user that they still have a "chromed" (for lack of a better term) window open. The less savvy user will see things like File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, and Help, start clicking on the menus, get prompted to enter confidential information and do so, not knowing that the destination of the confidential information is somewhere it isn't supposed to go.

In other words, what Microsoft was afraid of (and quite rightfully so) is a spoofed browser window. There is even a derivative that will open MS-DOS prompt and claim to "scan your computer for unwanted files", then use DOS commands to delete very critical Windows DLLs. The actual likelihood of the threat is low, since it does require user interaction, but it is there nonetheless.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads