Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi

I have a site that is 780 wide, it's actually 781 because I bordered it to the right to make it look good in 1024x768 resolutions. Now, you will probably think that I should move this border 1 pixel, but I'm using layers and it's very hard to do that. I tried, and it didn't work. The site will never have to be scrolled horizontal so I would like it that despite the 781 width it will never have a horizontal bar. Is this possible?

Member #
    <style>
    body {overflow-x: hidden}
    </style>
    - Brian

Member #
    Thank you so much skrlin! Now I can work again

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The other option is to make your layout 779 pixels wide. The extra pixel wouldn't kill you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I am experiecing a similar problem. I am working on a page for a friend and one certain pages at certain resolutions, a horizontal scroll bar appears for no reason. the link to the work-in-progress is:
    http://stu.wccnet.edu/~tdickert/MuttJames/

this happens particulary on the bio and discography page. I inserted the overflow command into my css but it didn't change anything. I am not familiar with this but I am new to web coding. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Member #
    It's because you're using frames, take another 20px of the width and the h-scroll should go.

Member #
    Thanks for your reply Riat!

I tried taking more than that off, but it would still happen when I check it on a 17" 800x600 screen. It really doesn't make sense to me why the h-scroll shows. The text is set to wrap and has padding so it never touches the edge of the screen. The best I've come up with is to turn scrolling to "yes" for the content frame and then it always shows the v-scroll and never the h-scroll. Any other suggestions to this would be greatly appreciated!

Member #
    I would actually recommend you get rid of the frameset altogether and replace it with tables/divs. It would remove the problem and be simpler to update.

Member #
    I considered that to begin with, but couldn't figure out a way to keep the navigation at the bottom of the screen at all times. Also, speaking of page updates, what is the easiest way for me to have someone update a page that I made for them? (assuming they don't know any html).

Remove Ads