Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    With the new option to read outlook email as plain text in the latest service pack of IE, I think it's time I find out how this is done.

Anyone?
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What exactly do you mean? REading it as plain text?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Just to clarify, Outlook or Outlook Express?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I think you mean Multi-Part MIME Encoding?

Basically, in your email header (the part that stores the "From, To, Subject, etc." you set your Encoding to multipart/alternative, which is one of the Multi-Part MIME types that allows you to have multiple alternative forms of the content, in decreasing order of complexity.

A typical multipart/alternative email will consist of an HTML part, an RTF part, and a Plain Text part.

The specifics of how to construct a multipart/alternative email is kinda detailed, and I haven't done it in years... so just research it on Google.

Member #
    Wow, thanks for the responses, I didn't know I had replies - I think I need to check my email notification settings . . .

Originally posted by Wired
    Just to clarify, Outlook or Outlook Express?
    Outlook Express, although . . . MSN won't allow me to send email out through it. (Isn't that lame, I can collect my mail through outlook, but I have to send it from Yahoo. I tracked it down and sure enough, it's MSN denying me the right to SMTP through yahoo or any other third party.)

So I perhaps the solution would be to compose it in Outlook Express, but the way MSN is blocking my outgoing mail (from their own freakin' Outlook Express software, by the way) I'd ultimately have to send the composed message through the Yahoo website.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    Originally posted by transio
    I think you mean Multi-Part MIME Encoding?

Basically, in your email header (the part that stores the "From, To, Subject, etc." you set your Encoding to multipart/alternative, which is one of the Multi-Part MIME types that allows you to have multiple alternative forms of the content, in decreasing order of complexity.

A typical multipart/alternative email will consist of an HTML part, an RTF part, and a Plain Text part.

The specifics of how to construct a multipart/alternative email is kinda detailed, and I haven't done it in years... so just research it on Google.
    Cool thanks, now at least I know the proper terminology to search for.
    ~ mikeycorn

Remove Ads