Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    The 'resume' link on this site normally displays the pdf file with acrobat reader. Using - <a href="LeeMarrsResume.pdf"...

http://www.leemarrs.com

Some users receive a dialog box to download instead and don't see the file on screen (client feedback - I haven't seen this myself).

Is this something to do with their settings, version, system, ISP, etc? or can I force acrobat reader to show the file?

I'll appreciate any advice on this.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    That's their settings, not yours. They need to update to the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    thanks, wired, that's a relief

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The best thing you can do in this instance is let them know what software they require. If they get a dialog box telling them to download the file, then they need Acrobat Reader. There are links on Adobe's website that you can use so that people can download it. Just make sure to tell them that it is a free and safe download.

You may also want to look at providing other alternatives since a lot of people still can't open PDFs. Word docs, plain text, and even HTML pages may work as other ways of displaying your stuff.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Also some people (like me for example) don't like PDFs very much, especially when surfing the web.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    PDf is a great format, because you know it will look the same regardless of what PC you're on. It does have its uses.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Yeah I agree with you on that aspect but I just find it so cumbersome to use compared with a web browser or WP.

Remove Ads