Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Help, - I'm trying to link to an excel document from a web page (actually company intranet).

The problem is that by default the excel document loads in the IE embedded version of Excel, which if fine apart from the fact that half the toolbars are missing by default, and when you add them and close the browser, it does not remember the settings for next time.

Is there a way to get a link to an excel document from a web page to open excel normally with the document loaded, rather than the horrible MS integrated IE / Excel rubbish?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    not sure on that but you could always tell them that right click save target as

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can also do it with PHP but it's very hard. The right-click, save target deal would be much easier
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    If only it were that easy - basically I'm doing a simple office start-page with links to these documents which are stored on an network drive - I don't want people taking a "copy" - the whole point of doing it this way is to have just one copy of the file in existence, which avoids data duplication and out of date files.
    Most of the people who will access these documents are only just PC literate - introducing the whole "right click and save" thing would NOT be good, trust me!

Member #
    so u basically want people to be able to read the document only but u want it to be read in excel program and not the ie interface?

Member #
    I want people to be able to view AND edit the excel file as required, but I want to do it this way because:

- having one link on a webpage removes the need to use desktop shortcuts, which can get out of date, and are difficult to keep in snyc across 20+ users.

- I don't want to use "Right click and save as..." because I only want one copy of the file to exist at any one time, hence the link from a webpage, rather than multiple copy of the file, or multiple shortcuts on peoples desktops.

Its just that when the excel file is viewed in the IE / Excel integrated way - which is the default for IE - half the toolbars useful for editing are switched off by default, and even when they are switched on, the browser does not remember the settings for next time - very annoying.

Member #
    not sure if that can be done because it would mean that it would have to download it anyway to edit it n stuff a trip to microsofts msdn libary might be some help

Member #
    you can edit it in the IE / Excel integrated browser no problem - all the excel menus are there, only thing is most of the useful toolbars are turned off by default,....which makes it annoying for non-tchnical users (the kind that can't turn on toolbars).......I don't want to have to go back to nasty desktop sortcuts...!

Member #
    well im not sure if it can be done, if you tired browsing microsofts msdn libairy they nmight have a tut in there or something to let you it

Remove Ads