Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm wanting to set aside part of my home web page for rotating some include files. These are basically promotions for friends businesses etc and I want a different one to appear at regular intervals.

Now my home web page is default.htm. I know I've got plenty of options (SSI, ASP, Javascript and so on), but can I do this without renaming default.htm to default.shtm, default.asp and so on ?

The reason is that the site has high search engine rankings and is used for some high profile promotions, so the last thing I want to do is find that I disappear from the search engines because I've renamed my home page. If anyone knows that this will not make any difference then thats great. I haven't specified a particular file when I registered with the various search engines, like Google and Yahoo, just the web site name.

Javascript is tempting, but the include files are quite long with regards to HTML code, so I don't think it's practical to use document.write statements.

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Mike
    Webmaster
    The Wicca Box
    http://www.thewiccabox.co.uk

Member #
    With javascript, the extension will still be .htm (default.htm) but if you use scripting languages say bye bye to .htm extensions. So you can use server side, and lose the extension you want, or use javascript, but get bogged down with loads of document.writes

Member #
    Thanks for the reply,
    I've managed to sort it by using a combination of IFRAMES and a short Javascript. It's not perfect but it does the job.

Remove Ads