Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    this is the link to the screen shot of my site im working on.

######

I want to make the large box be the space for the information of the site. so when you click on a link to the right, it displays stuff there. is there a way to do this without the whole page reloading? i know i can have it link to a new page with a diff iframe named (if i use iframe to do it). whats the simplest way to pull this off? Im thinking iframe, any suggestions? im sure i could make a disjointed roll-over for the links where you click on it and the big box is a picture (have the type done in photoshop and make it a pic i guess) that changes when you click on one. is this a good idea or bad idea? any suggestions from some pros would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time everyone.

Member #
    i m not a pro, lol. wow, nobody answering u? erm... for me, i would choose to use iframe, no particular reason why, maybe i'm more familar with it? hmm...

can DIV work? i heard it's better. somewhere in this forum.

lol.

Member #
    Originally posted by eien-kisu
    i m not a pro, lol. wow, nobody answering u? erm... for me, i would choose to use iframe, no particular reason why, maybe i'm more familar with it? hmm...

can DIV work? i heard it's better. somewhere in this forum.

lol.
    i already stated both of those, i want to know how to keep the page from reloading.

Member #
    I have two websites, one using iframing and the other regular framing ( i guess :P )

The one with regular frames, will load just the frame you tell it to load into, or the current frame, without loading the other frames. I delted that site, and need the code in front of me to actually tell you what to put, but here is an example of what will load all of the framing:

http://www.gamingforge.net

I havn't worked with frames a lot, or for a long time. Hope I can help.

1. You need to create a frameset of course on the index.html (or whatever extension you are using)

Inside the index you need to properly set up the frameset with the names of the frames you will be using. Sizes blah blah should also be adjusted to your liking. (sorry if you know EVERYTHING I'm talking about :P) Name the frames something like fr_l, fr_r, and fr_m, link them respectivly.
    2. Have that box you want the content to be loaded onto named something like; main.html.
    3. On the fr_l (for the left navigation frame) if you have a link to say contact information, link it like this:

<a href="contact/index.html" target="fr_m" Contact</a>

that way, is disregards all of the frames other than fr_m and loads that html onto that box you were talking about (fr_m).

This should do the trick! if not, I'm sorry for being newbie

Here is an example of frameset coding so that it will allow one-page loading:

<html>
    <frameset cols="66%,34%"> [you can use pixels if desired.]
    <frame src="fr_l.html" name="fr_l">
    <frameset rows="100,*">
    <frame src="main.html" name="fr_m">
    <frame src="fr_r.html" name="fr_r">
    </frameset> </frameset>
    </html>

This does not represent a correctly layed out frame page, nor does it represent your website. It's just a guide on how you should be framing your website. You'll be getting borders, and scrollbars on each frame, just specify whether or not you want them. Hope I was somewhat helpful!

Member #
    Why do you want the page not to reload? Are you concerned about the time it takes or do you have some JavaScript dependant functions that won't work if reloaded? Depending on what you want to happen, if you use PHP includes to insert one HTML page into another, and by having non-relative links ("http://www.you.com/images/image.gif" as opposed to "images/image.gif") you can take off the reloading of the whole page and just load the included area.

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Remove Ads