Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all!!

I am wondering the best way to deal with using a font on a website that is not a font most people have on their systems. Is there a way to imbed the text within the html or anything like that???

I normally just make the text a gif or jpg, etc...if I want to have odd fonts, but this case would be much better if I could just use an actual font.

Thank you for any replies!! I've also never done anything like this, so if it is complex, I'd love for you to "dumb it down" for me!!

Thanks again,
    Reedly
    If you're bored...Web Elevation

Member #
    Basically I think the option you are describing cannot be done, it may be, but I have never heard of it. The way to create smallest files is to create a flash graphic containing the fonts, but this is not what you want. I think what you need to do is to create your website so it is viewable with a common font such as Verdana or Arial, and define two or three different font types in your CSS tags, so that people don't have to have that font to see your site, although you could/should offer a download for that dont on your website perhaps. Hope I've helped .
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    justlivyalife -

Thanks for your insight!!

I didn't think of doing this particular part in flash!!

Here's a question that is sort of outside of the subject...If I have created a website for a band...and they have the option to go to the Flash site or the HTML site, do you think it would be wrong to make just the links bar a flash object on the HTML site?? The main reason for the option of Flash or HTML is for different connections, so maybe it's ok to have a small mixture of flash/html on a page that is called the "HTML" page??

What do you think??

Other than that, I see your point about using more than one font in the HTML tags, so that if they have the font, they get it, if not, they get whatever else is in the tag...

Thanks again!! I'm gonna explore the HTML/Flash both option I think!!

Reedly
    If you're bored...Web Elevation

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    There is a way to embed fonts in an HTML document, however, it is a solution of Internet Explorer only. There is a program called WEFT (Web Embedding Fonts Tool) developed by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...bedding/weft3/

That might be something you can use. I've used it for experiments only and it looked good but failed to work in non-IE browsers.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    I don't think I would mix flash elements with an html version of the page. If you are making two pages you might as well make two different pages if you understand me. The main reason would be because if flash isn't enabled/installed on someone's computer, and use the html version with flash in it, they wouldn't be able (practically at least) to navigate the site.

Hope I've helped,
    [Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Remove Ads