Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone,

I recently designed a new webpage, http://www.yankeeshrine.com/new_index.asp/ using all HTML tables for the page layout. I realized that using such HTML "presentation hacks" was not only bad design etiquette, but also would make the site hard to maintain and update, is bad for bandwidth, and most importantly to me, produced a wide array of aesthetic bugs in all non-IE browsers due to their differences in interpreting the html.

I did some reading, and came to the conclusion that all these problems coud be solved by using CSS in conjunction with XHTML. Taken further, I could completely recreate my page design using solely CSS, and use XHTML just for the content, allowing the site to display the same across all browsers. This is my utimate goal, to rewrite the page mentioned above using only CSS to lay it out. Also, I want to make the page completely elastic (not quite fluid, not quite static), to compensate for different text size settings.

I am also aware that using CSS to this extent has some drawbacks, most notably, backwards-compatibility with older browsers, especially netscape 4. To overcome this I read that TWO css files must be used, one with only styles compatible with ns4 and the other, inserted with an import statement, with all the styles to layout the site. So, for ns4, would I have to layout the page with tables anyway? How would I make all the other browsers ignore this layout? Does the CSS override the code?

Anyway, if you could help me on my way to rewriting the page (i have only a basic knowlege of CSS and xhtml), please give me your advice, code, opinions, ect. ect. Also, here is an image that shows the basic table layout of my page in its current form, so you can see how I want to use CSS to layout my page.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    I guess my post was too long, no one felt like reading all the way through it.

Oh well.....
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Originally posted by maverick26
    I guess my post was too long, no one felt like reading all the way through it.

Oh well.....
    well i see your idea , and thinks its a good idea , but go ahead and start the project and if you get stuck then you can ask a question -- in your statement you explained what you will like to do -- but didnt asked a direct question about anything -- i guess this is why no response -- just my thought
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Firstly I wouldn't worry about Netscape 4, it's used by such a small minority it's unlikely they'd ever come to your site. I recommend going to a site such as www.alistapart.com and reading some articles there as I can't be arsed to type the code out now (maybe later )

Member #
    Finally, some replies! I thought maybe my posts were being boycotted or something!

Seriously, though thanx for the posts. Riat, I did some more reading and I now agree with you about NS4. I'm just going to go ahead with the CSS an not even worry about netscape 4.

Well, I going to get started with this project and I'm sure I will be back soon with tons of questions!
    www.stevenspoker.com

Member #
    UPDATE:

here is a VERY basic layout of my site, written in XHTML and uses a table to layout the design, and a stylesheet to format the different parts of the layout with differnt bgcolors.
    http://www.yankeeshrine.com/css_index.asp
    I know its still very early in design, but let me know if there is anything i should be doing differently.
    thanks!
    www.stevenspoker.com

Member #
    Nice, I see you've used the curved edges thingy - shows promise mav.

Member #
    Ya, something's buggy with the spacer thing at the bottom. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, because you seem to have a hell of a lot of empty cells, but the pseudo-shadow seems to be messed up. It looks like you're trying to create a curve at the bottom - you might want to reduce the size of the shadow, so it doesn't stick out at the edges. [Of course, I could be talking complete bullsh*t, because I haven't looked too closely at the source - it's messy as hell, and I don't have time].
    Btw, I'm using Firebird 0.7

Remove Ads